Meen's Reviews > Alcoholics Anonymous

Alcoholics Anonymous by Alcoholics Anonymous

May 25, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: own-it, religion-spirituality-atheism, junkie-recovery-psych-self-help-ish, bio-memoir-ethnog-true-stuff
Recommended for: People early in recovery (w/caveats!)

I really struggled with how to rate the "Big Book." I've been sober for over 9 years now, and I stopped being a semi-regular AA probably 5 years ago. (And I was NEVER an "AA Nazi" at all. I never officially did all the Steps, and I'm pretty sure I've never even read the ENTIRE Big Book.) BUT, after I had been sober for 9 months on my own and went to my first meeting out of just a desperation to be around SOMEONE who might understand all the emotions I was going through, it meant so much to be able to share my sobriety and my struggles with other sober and struggling people. Having the Big Book and the "12 & 12" to pore over AT THAT TIME absolutely made a difference, and I will always treasure AA. However, I never could get totally comfortable with the god part of the program even then, and I have grown TOTALLY beyond all of that now. In fact, I know now that AA is no better at getting and keeping people sober than just quitting cold-turkey or any other recovery program. So, with my rating I tried to balance the importance of AA in my early recovery with the criticism of it that I eventually developed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alcoholics Anonymous.

11/16/2016 marked as: read