Brooke — brooklynnnnereads's Reviews > S.T.A.G.S.

S.T.A.G.S. by M.A. Bennett

it was ok
bookshelves: unhauled-used-to-own

This was a unique, creative, and thrilling novel that is not typical within the Young Adult genre. It almost felt as if it was a combination of "Pretty Little Liars" by Sara Shepard and the movies "Scream" and "Mean Girls". It was a different story and not only in the idea but the execution of the crimes.

Admittedly (and unfortunately), as much as I was a fan of the idea surrounding the plot, this novel was just not for me. It was a case of "it's not you, it's me". The writing was well done but my full attention was not getting grabbed. Throughout the novel, I found myself becoming easily distracted and not as invested in the story as much as I hoped to be. Also, I didn't find that any of the characters (even in the main friendship group) were likeable. That's my personal opinion but that can detract from the novel when I find I'm not as invested in figuring out the character's outcome.

Lastly, typically I'm a fan of social culture/media references but this novel took movie references to the extreme. It originally was enjoyable but the novel eventually was fully saturated with unnecessary references.

As a debut, I would say this was well done for the author as it was a unique and creative idea. Also, the ending was the perfect mixture of conclusion along with suspense. I'm interested to read more from this author in the future.

***Thank you to Penguin Random House Canada for sending me a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read S.T.A.G.S..

February 13, 2018 – Started Reading