Andrea's Reviews > Rivers of London

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

Oct 31, 2011

bookshelves: british, police-detective, urbanfantasy

The voice in this book reminds me strongly of a few blogs I've read, written by anonymous Ambulance workers and Police Officers. In some ways "Rivers of London" is a police procedural, it's just that the procedure is that of a special department of the London Police, one devoted to the extra-human powers that they don't like to admit to.

Moving at a fairly relaxed pace over a period of six months, "Rivers of London" keeps up an intriguing plotline with a likeable protagonist. I did find that my curiosity more than my emotions was engaged, and the narrator doesn't truly allow us to see his emotions. I did, early on, suspect that (view spoiler) but although the developments were more complex, Peter's reactions felt like they were behind a glass wall - we never really _feel_ any depth of reaction (view spoiler).

The US title of this book is "Midnight Riot" and that is actually a better name to capture what the story is about (though "Rivers of London" is more evocative and has a far superior cover).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rivers of London.

October 31, 2011 – Started Reading
October 31, 2011 – Shelved
November 3, 2011 – Shelved as: british
November 3, 2011 – Shelved as: urbanfantasy
November 3, 2011 – Shelved as: police-detective
November 3, 2011 – Finished Reading

Anna You're the first person I've encountered who prefers the American title, hahaha. I'm not sure how much of that is that people just really hate the inappropriate American cover art.

Andrea Anna wrote: "You're the first person I've encountered who prefers the American title, hahaha. I'm not sure how much of that is that people just really hate the inappropriate American cover art."

I would have been less likely to pick up the book if it had been called "Midnight Riot", for all it's more accurate to the things that happen, in my opinion. "Rivers of London" is a way better title.