Amber's Reviews > The Midnights

The Midnights by Sarah Nicole Smetana

bookshelves: own-it, read-in-2018

IThank you to Booksparks for providing me with a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

really loved reading this book. I was completely in the mood for some YA fiction, and this was a perfect fit. I mean, not only was it set at that slightly awkward, slightly angsty end-of-high-school age, but it was also laced with music. And by “laced” I mean “completely submerged in music”. And I loved it!

I’m finding myself wanting to say that this was a really sweet book, despite the fact that it wasn’t a “sweet” story per se. It was, in fact, quite emotional because it dealt with some pretty difficult situations. And yet, I have this warm feeling toward the book now that it’s done. I’m chalking that up to Susannah. I have a soft spot for her. Watching her struggle for her father’s praise, and then her struggle to fit in and find her own way after he was gone broke my heart. And yet I remembered that season as a teen, constantly searching for you’re own identity and your place within the world around you.

Ok, I have to stop here or I’m going to start spoiling all the details. And nobody likes a spoilsport! This book will be perfect for fans of YA fiction with a side of romance, and music fans. (I am *still* drooling over her dad’s vinyl collection.) It’s a great coming-of-age story that you’ll probably be able to relate to, and you won’t want it to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnights.

February 13, 2018 – Shelved