Miranda Reads's Reviews > New Moon

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

bookshelves: ya-series, 2018-popsugar-reading-challenge, audiobook

Really cringing at my younger self..

And yet....I still loved it

So, I guess I'm cringing at my older self too.
Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire
When Bella gets a paper cut during her birthday, she (in typical ridiculously unstable fashion) slices her arm open and stuffs it with glass. She becomes surrounded by seven thirsty vampires and while she manages to make it out alive, Edward is horrified by what his family has the potential to do. (How is this a surprise?) (They're bloody vampires.)

Edward does the sensible thing and completely erases himself from her life. Bella does the sensible thing and completely erases her mind. She throws herself into this weird fugue state for the second book.
I honestly have no idea how to live without you.
Codependency for the win. Seriously, their relationship is so messed up when I think about it. 100 year old man, 18 year old girl. I mean technically it isn't statuary but give Edward a few wrinkles and a stooped walk...and this book would be giving off a whole different vibe.

Looking back now, I don't understand how I was Team Edward for this book. Poor Jacob did all that work with healing Bella only to get thrown aside as soon as a little sparkle dances her way.

I remember absolutely crying when Bella goes into the fugue state after Edward leaves and bawling again when he came back. I kept thinking, "This is TRUE love." Woah, Nelly. At least I don't feel the same now...right?

The 2018 PopSugar Reading Challenge - An allegory

Audiobook Comments
The girl voices (done by Ilyana Kadushin) were alright but her version of male voices were rather terrible. Picture a girl with the scratchy-cold voice. That's every guy in the book. Sigh.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Moon.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Rachel Aranda Glad you enjoyed the book still, AND you don’t consider them examples of what true love looks like.

Miranda Reads Rachel wrote: "Glad you enjoyed the book still, AND you don’t consider them examples of what true love looks like."

Lol... you should've seen me ten years ago, righteously defending the soulmates. Oh, past-Miranda....

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Wonderful review Miranda! :)

Luvtoread Great review Miranda! It''s so funny how we felt when we first read them. I have all 4 hardcover novels just waiting endlessly patient for their rereads!! I was always team Jacob!!! Lol.

Miranda Reads Sandra wrote: "Wonderful review Miranda! :)"

Thank you!

Miranda Reads Luvtoread wrote: "Great review Miranda! It''s so funny how we felt when we first read them. I have all 4 hardcover novels just waiting endlessly patient for their rereads!! I was always team Jacob!!! Lol."

Yes! Every few years, i like to reread and see how my opinions change. You definitely had more sense than me with being Team Jacob always :)

Paula Fabulous review, Miranda! :)

Miranda Reads Maddie wrote: "Ah I was almost scared you will write a crappy review on this book, then I needed to cancel our friendship *only joking*

Glad you still love, Fabulous Review, Miranda 😄"

I would completely understand. I would've expected nothing less :p

Miranda Reads Paula wrote: "Fabulous review, Miranda! :)"

message 10: by Berit☀️✨ (new)

Berit☀️✨ LOL so true, I read this ages ago and absolutely adored it, but I don’t want to read it again and ruin the love I had for the first time! Fun review! 🌹

Miranda Reads Berit☀️✨ wrote: "LOL so true, I read this ages ago and absolutely adored it, but I don’t want to read it again and ruin the love I had for the first time! Fun review! 🌹"

The love wasn't ruined for me....but it certainly wasn't as all-consuming as it was the first time round :P

message 12: by Karylee (new)

Karylee to be honest, there is something wrong with me because i fall in love with old guys.
I didnt mean to fall in love with damon salvator

Miranda Reads Maybe it's cause they look like young guys :P