Miranda Reads's Reviews > Breaking Dawn

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
71848701
's review

really liked it
bookshelves: ya-series, 2018-popsugar-reading-challenge

Oh the memories. The angsty teen memories. They're all flooding back.

It should come as no surprise that I have a dark and dangerous past - I was a Twihard.

I loved this series with every beat of my teenage heart. I had a poster, I had a vegetarian vampire shirt, I had a themed birthday party, and (worst of all) I did this to a book:
description
I can't even open it anymore for fear of the pages falling out and the spine splintering...yet I can't bear to throw it away.

And now (ten years later), I'm revisiting the series to see how my opinion's changed over the last decade. For the most part, I still am pleasantly pleased by how much I enjoyed rereading.

I very nearly memorized the series as a teen so during the reread, it was nice to see the scenes with fresh eyes after all this time. It was like visiting an old friend.

However, this time around there were several moments/aspects that stood out so much clearer to adult-me:

Jacob went from a lovable sidekick to a mopey and whiny teen. It wasn't unbearable, but it was so much more noticeable this round:
“What do I look like? The Wizard of Oz? You need a brain? You need a heart? Go ahead, take mine. Take everything I have.”
15-year-old me thought this was perfectly reasonable (and undoubtedly romantic). 25-year-old me couldn't stop noticing how he kept trying to force himself on Bella in Eclipse and then did the whole woe-is-me when Bella kept trying to tell him to stop (even when she was married.) That werewolf needed a firm kick in the teeth.

AND (for the first time) I noticed how conveniently and absolutely perfect everything worked out for Bella. The sheer amount of coincidences drove me a bit bonkers:
And then we continued blissfully into this small but perfect piece of our forever.
15-year-old-me was so relieved that the tension/uncertainty was resolved. We could finally get those super-cute moments with the Cullen Family. 25-year-old-me kept waiting for something to happen.

I mean, the first 2/3 of the book consists of Bella getting married and being pregnant. Lots and Lots of filler-fluff. She's the calmest newborn in centuries, she makes leaps and bounds with her gift and has a super adorable precocious child. It's verging on Mary-Sue territory.
Stop being so… optimistic. It’s getting on my nerves.
Most notably, the series' end wasn't as all-consuming and life-altering as I remembered it being. I still enjoyed the series but it just doesn't hold to my memory. (I guess that's a product of growing up).

I'm a bit disappointed about that. Ah well. It's still a four-star-er in my book - here's to nostalgia and memories!

Audiobook Comments
For such a popular book, you'd think the audio would be a bit better.

The female voice (done by Ilyana Kadushin for Bella's parts) didn't have enough variation in tone - especially when she did male characters. Nearly every adult male had the same voice and the accents of the new/visiting vampires wasn't distinct enough.

The guy voice (done by Matt Walters) was a bit better for the distinction but sounded wooden throughout the book.

The 2018 Popsugar Reading Challenge - A book with the time of day in the title

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
152 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Dawn.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

February 13, 2018 – Shelved
March 23, 2018 – Started Reading
March 26, 2018 –
page 326
43.12% ".

El. Oh. El. Someone wasn't paying attention in health...
description
"
March 27, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (last edited Mar 28, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

Debra Johnson Okay, I confess. My niece had the entire set of the Twilight saga (hardcover) . I made her let me borrow them. I was 48. I read everyone of them and watched every movie as it came available on my T.V. I loved them, and I hated them. I hated that I loved them.
But, the movies were much better and true to the books than Charlene Harris' True Blood series. Which was created on the basis of her Sookie Stackhouse series. That series was suppose to be adult. And quite frankly, the last book in that series left such a horrible taste in my mouth I quit reading anything she wrote. It was like she just slapped together the last book without giving any satisfaction or care to her characters or readers.
So, I have to give credit to Stephenie Meyer for staying true to her series and the characters she created all the way to 'The End'


Miranda Reads Debra wrote: "I loved them, and I hated them. I hated that I loved them. "

LOL YES! YESSSSSS. Sums it up so, so well.

I remember reading the first book of Sookie Stackhouse when I was in the twilight haze, and saw that the girl was a bit psychic and the vampire wasn't. I immediately thought "TWILIGHT RIPOFF" and refused to read any more on principle. I think that's a series that I need to retry though... :P


message 3: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson I remember loving the majority of the Sookie Stackhouse series. But, I warn you now, you will be beyond disappointed on the last book of the series. She even put out some kind of 'Sum Up' book that was beyond ridiculous. Both of these last books of the series will actually make you angry they are so badly put together and an obvious rip off just to get that last bit of money out of her fans. When you treat your fans like garbage, you lose them.
The same thing has been occurring to Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series and her Merry Gentry series. Only a bit differently. I was a die-hard fan of hers. But, her last book in the Merry Gentry series and the last 2 in the Anita Blake series was beyond ridiculous. Sometimes authors lose their way, and I feel this has happened to Ms. Hamilton.


Miranda Reads Debra wrote: "I remember loving the majority of the Sookie Stackhouse series. But, I warn you now, you will be beyond disappointed on the last book of the series. She even put out some kind of 'Sum Up' book that..."

Thank you for the warnings. I will definitely be putting those series on the back burner.


message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice Cai A THEMED BIRTHDAY PARTY


Miranda Reads Alice wrote: "A THEMED BIRTHDAY PARTY"

OH YEAH....I went that far. Though to be fair, it was a themed joint bday party. My cousin was Team Jacob, I was Team Edward....and yes, we made all of the party-goers pick a side. Even Grandma.


message 7: by MCMXCII (new)

MCMXCII i really to read this series again and see if I will love it. I have always loved fantasy (as far as movies and tv shows went) but I used to read mysteries and urban fiction before this little gem. I don't think I would hate though. How could I? I still love paranormal romance, I don't mind love triangles, I love all things shifter and vampy. 😊😊


J.A. Ironside you totally need to read Chemistry by C.L Lynch. And the second book, Biology. Trust me on this. A lot of the stuff you loved about Twilight but with zombies, humour and a sweary, kick ass plus sized heroine.


Miranda Reads Meagan wrote: "i really to read this series again and see if I will love it. I have always loved fantasy (as far as movies and tv shows went) but I used to read mysteries and urban fiction before this little gem...."

You totally should. I'm on a huge reread kick - it's so fun to see how my opinions/ thoughts change


Miranda Reads J.A. wrote: "you totally need to read Chemistry by C.L Lynch. And the second book, Biology. Trust me on this. A lot of the stuff you loved about Twilight but with zombies, humour and a sweary, kick ass plus siz..."

Omg. You had me at zombies. I can't wait :)


Katie I didn’t read this series until I was 23. I’m 33 now and I’ve read it every single year (sometimes twice a year). I totally agree about Jacob. But he’s always annoyed me, so I didn’t see it as much of a change. I skip the Bella and Jacob kiss in Eclipse. I think it’s just too weird that he will end up their son in law. “Hey, so yeah I used to fantasize about your mom while your dad was listening to my head.” However, I do think the immaturity was necessary to distance Bella and Jacob even more. Breaking Dawn is my favorite and the reason I read the series over and over again. I love the beginning of the book and getting to see some of their happiness. So many stories have the happy ending without every seeing the happy. I love that about this series.


message 12: by Troy (new)

Troy Hooker I’m not ashamed to admit the series intrigued me... that is until the “almost major epic battle at the end” where it never really happened. Clever, really, but can you blame a guy for wanting to see some real action?


Miranda Reads Katie wrote: "Iread the series over and over again. I love the beginning of the book and getting to see some of their happiness. So many stories have the happy ending without every seeing the happy. I love that about this series. "

You are speaking to my soul. There's just something about this series. Despite the flaws, i love it


Miranda Reads Troy wrote: "I’m not ashamed to admit the series intrigued me... that is until the “almost major epic battle at the end” where it never really happened. Clever, really, but can you blame a guy for wanting to se..."

It was a bit of a let down, but at least we don't have the ultimate betrayl that HP did (still can't forgive her for what she did to the Weasley family)


message 15: by Steven (new)

Steven Brown Great review ;-)


Miranda Reads Thank you :D


Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Wonderful review, babe! <3 xoxo


Miranda Reads Maddie wrote: "Brilliant Review, Miranda 😉💕"

thank you :)


Miranda Reads Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Wonderful review, babe! <3 xoxo"

gracias!


message 20: by Samantha Nicole (new)

Samantha Nicole The "Mary-Sue" aspects of Bella's transformation into a vampire was the only thing in this book I hated. I wanted to see her kind of struggle with her new life and everything that came with it. But instead she just excelled and it took out some of the excitement for me. Although I can't say this hits the list of "most disappointing book conclusions" by any means! Great review by the way!


message 21: by Allison (new)

Allison Ten years ago you and ten years ago me would’ve been the best of friends. I plan on going back to these books soon too! Can’t believe it’s been ten years already.


message 22: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia OMG! OMG! I also had a twilight themed b-day party (it was pretty awesome if I say so myself). Twilight was and is such as huge part of my life. It also inspired me to read the books on which the novels were based such as "Pride and Prejudice".


Miranda Reads Samantha wrote: "The "Mary-Sue" aspects of Bella's transformation into a vampire was the only thing in this book I hated. I wanted to see her kind of struggle with her new life and everything that came with it. But..."

Yes. YES. PREACH. It was so frustrating to know see her succeeding.


Miranda Reads Allison wrote: "Ten years ago you and ten years ago me would’ve been the best of friends. I plan on going back to these books soon too! Can’t believe it’s been ten years already."

LOL. The best of friends.

Quick reread the books and we can gossip about like current friends. :D


Miranda Reads Olivia wrote: "OMG! OMG! I also had a twilight themed b-day party (it was pretty awesome if I say so myself). Twilight was and is such as huge part of my life. It also inspired me to read the books on which the n..."

We would've been great friends back in the day. At my twilight party, we made everyone pick a side. Yes. Everyone. The parents, the grandparents, the great-uncles. It was glorious.

What about you?


message 26: by Avalon (new)

Avalon "I have a dark and dangerous past- I was a Twihard."
OMG you are too much! Your reviews never fail to make me laugh :)
Also I can relate, although I never quite made it to birthday party status lol.


message 27: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia We didn't have people pick sides but I had life size cutouts of Edward and Jacob (I still don't know how my parents found them). We ate food that was featured in the books like ravioli (hope I spelled that on right). And played games related to Twilight (what games they were I don't remember).


Miranda Reads Avalon wrote: ""I have a dark and dangerous past- I was a Twihard."
OMG you are too much! Your reviews never fail to make me laugh :)
Also I can relate, although I never quite made it to birthday party status lol."


Haha, glad you liked it. Too bad you missed out on the bday greatness


Miranda Reads Olivia wrote: "We didn't have people pick sides but I had life size cutouts of Edward and Jacob (I still don't know how my parents found them). We ate food that was featured in the books like ravioli (hope I spel..."

Yup. We would've def been besties. Love that the food was themed. I should've thought of that


message 30: by Maria-Simona (new)

Maria-Simona Elizabeth I always used to say that I hated Twilight because everyone else I knew hated Twilight. I had not even read the books and had only seen clips of the first two movies. I was copying the crows of the crowd.
That was, until the summer I turned 15. I picked up the first book that summer when I was on my weekly spree at the library. No particular reason for checking it out--it was just on a whim.
Well, that little whim opened a gateway. The gateway to Utter Obsession.
I read all the books in one week. I forced my entire family to watch the movies with me (and they ended up actually liking them!). All my friends had to hear me call them up on the phone at 2 A.M. to obsess and fangirl. I put doodles of the quotes and fanmade posters ALL OVER my bedroom. I couldn't hold ONE conversation with any human being that summer without screaming about Twilight at a given point.

Ah, the summer of Twilight. Good times. Gooooooood times.


Miranda Reads Maria-Simona wrote: "I always used to say that I hated Twilight because everyone else I knew hated Twilight. I had not even read the books and had only seen clips of the first two movies. I was copying the crows of the..."

Oh gosh. I think we would've been best friends :)


message 32: by Maria-Simona (new)

Maria-Simona Elizabeth Miranda wrote: "Maria-Simona wrote: "I always used to say that I hated Twilight because everyone else I knew hated Twilight. I had not even read the books and had only seen clips of the first two movies. I was cop..."

Giiiiiiirl. Our 2 A.M. fangirl sessions would have out of this world! :)


Miranda Reads And our parents would have absolutely hated us for it! :P If only we met years ago... :)


message 34: by Maria-Simona (new)

Maria-Simona Elizabeth Miranda wrote: "And our parents would have absolutely hated us for it! :P If only we met years ago... :)"

:D


back to top