Cameron Chaney's Reviews > Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities

Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities by John Brhel

bookshelves: 2018, adult, anthologies, horror, spooky

Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities is the sixth book from John Brhel and Joe Sullivan, the creative minds behind the popular Corpse Cold: New American Folklore , which I read and reviewed earlier this year. Seeing as I loved Corpse Cold, I was excited when Brhel offered me a free copy of their latest anthology Her Mourning Portrait in exchange for an honest review.

This anthology is similar to Brhel and Sullivan's other books in that each story revolves around spooky happenings such as ghostly apparitions, dead lovers returning from the grave, and the real-life horrors. The main difference is that none of the stories are very scary, opting instead for a Twilight Zone vibe, and each has a theme of love and relationships, making it a good read for Valentine's Day!

While I didn't love Her Mourning Portrait quite as much as Corpse Cold -- I'm a sucker for the scary stuff, what can I say? -- I did very much enjoy reading each story and didn't dislike any of them. Some are tongue-in-cheek, others are eerie, and a few are a little on the sad side. The authors offer a wide variety of stories that left me curious to see what they had in store for me next... why do I want to compare this to a box of chocolates? *shrugs*

The stories here are also heartfelt and tender, offering insightful ideas about relationships and love. And not only that, but there are quite a few references to Brhel and Sullivan's other works, weaving the stories into a tight universal knot... a very smart move considering the world's current obsession with fictional universes.

Overall, I enjoyed Her Mourning Portrait very much and I see myself buying the paperback to add to my collection. I recommend this to anyone looking for a quick Valentine's Day read.

You can also view my video review HERE!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities.

Started Reading