Tricia Mingerink's Reviews > Mark of the Raven

Mark of the Raven by Morgan L. Busse

bookshelves: great-christian-fantasy

This book is amazing! Of course, I knew it would be since I've adored every single novel this author has ever written!

This one started off slow. But the sort of slow where the plot and worldbuilding are unfolding like a flower, one petal at a time. Just at the moment when I wasn't sure where this was going, stuff started happening, deceptions upon deceptions and betrayals and plots and planned assassinations, and everything just got tense and crazy.

The worldbuilding is well done. Each of the Houses had their own personalities, and the author does a great job of writing clearly during the scenes where multiple houses are together and a great number of characters are introduced so that even someone like me who struggles with names didn't get confused.

Damien was my favorite character from the moment he stepped on the page. His introduction in this book is simply epic. Gave me chills. I still think one scene with him early on is my favorite in the whole book for how spine-chillingly awesome it is.

Selene was also a really, well-done character. It would've been too easy for her to feel whiny or too passive, but the author does a great job of making the reader root for her.

This is a great start to this new series, and now I am even more eager for book two!

Also, I read most of this book via audiobook, and the audiobook version is well done. The narrator does a really good job!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mark of the Raven.

February 13, 2018 – Shelved
February 13, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 13, 2018 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
February 13, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Paperback Edition)
October 29, 2018 – Started Reading
November 7, 2018 –
15.0% "The moment when Damien raises the sea wall? Absolutely, spine-tingling epic! Totally got chills!"
November 9, 2018 – Shelved as: great-christian-fantasy