Ellen Goodlett's Reviews > Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination

Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding

Oct 31, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: adult-fiction

Okay, disclaimer first: I effing LOVED Bridget Jones' Diary. And I loved the sequel even more (which is weird for me!). So, I was going in with crazy-high hopes for this one.

It's not that it disappointed... Because Fielding definitely still has the same fun, goofy, slightly awkward voice here that I loved so much in the Bridget series. And I do like that this one had a high-stakes plot, and excitement and action.

I think it's just that... the high-stakes plot and the lighthearted goofy-fun voice didn't really mesh very well. There were points where the main character was about to die/watching someone else die/in horrible danger, and she was all "mmm, hot man" or cracking jokes. Which I could understand if it was a tension-relief because she was so freaked out, but she never seemed to be very freaked-out that I could see. The action sequences were all pretty detached, and not very visual, so it was often hard to pick out what exactly was happening in them.

Overall, it was still enjoyable. It made me smile at parts, and I loved that the MC is not-your-average-Jane-Bond. She's quirky and silly and you can totally picture yourself in her shoes as she's facing off against terrorists and mad plots to take over the world, etc. So, if you're in the mood for a not-too-serious action-adventure, this one's a good bet :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination.