Lexie's Reviews > Academy of Assassins

Academy of Assassins by Stacey Brutger

bookshelves: first-in-series, kindle-unlimited

All right so this is more of a 3.5, but edging close enough to 4 to make it worth noting as such.

Overall I enjoyed this. Morgan is brash and reckless and committed and thoroughly frustrating but she gave as much as she got.

The guys were mostly ok - somewhat broadly written til closer to the end, I'm not completely sure how I feel about them all falling for her (view spoiler) but whatever.

The world building laws are confusing for me. I'm not sure if it's because Morgan lived in such an intense state of denial it felt like a physical wall so I lost track of immutable laws....or it was haphazardly written. I'll go with the former though since she was seriously in denial.

The plot though lost itself. The killer angle is thrown to the side as Morgan goes from n00b to elite trainee to I'm not sure but somehow every time she coughed she was in mortal danger and cut to shreds. By the 75% point she ruined all 4 of her outfits. Timing is wibbly wobbly but the action is pretty fast and engaging so it's easy to ignore.

Interested to see where it goes from here, but a bit wary too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Academy of Assassins.

February 12, 2018 – Started Reading
February 12, 2018 – Shelved
February 12, 2018 –
27.0% "So far, so good. Morgan is backing up her tough girl exterior, timing makes sense, world building makes sense..."
February 12, 2018 –
57.0% "Still largely enjoying MORGAN STOP DENYING KINCAID IS AFFECTED BY YOU ITS FRUSTRATING IN ITS REPETITION. also fairly sure this isn't a Reverse Harem is it?"
February 13, 2018 –
75.0% "Ok I may be wrong...this might be a reverse harem urban fantasy? Putting aside some of Morgan's incessant need to be willfully blind to the obvious, she's surrounded by FIVE super special paranormal hot af guys. Begging to die for her and constantly needing reassurance she's I've and happy."
February 13, 2018 – Shelved as: first-in-series