Miranda Reads's Reviews > Little Monsters

Little Monsters by Kara Thomas

bookshelves: ya-series, 2018-finer-books-club-reading-chall

The Last 50 Pages - A Reenactment:

Ohmygosh. OH. EM. GEE. No way. Oh. My. Gosh. No way in hell. No motherfudging way.

*muted screaming*

Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week. *takes a bow*

*thunderous applause*

Joking aside - wow. Just wow. I did not see that coming.

And because I hate spoiler-y reviews, I will not be talking about that at all. But seriously, check out this book solely because the " that " in this book made it all worth it.

So here's the non-spoiler-y review:

Kacey had it rough. She lived with her mom, and the revolving door of her mom's boyfriends, in New York. She hated life with her mom and after one too many altercations, is shipped off to her dad's home. The dad she never met. The dad with a completely different family in Wisconsin.

And immediately, she notices something is off:
People around here are polite. Like the type of polite where if there's one piece of pie left at desert, the person next to you will give a twenty-minute dissertation on why you should have it
Creepy, right? But the new family is nice and soon Kacey settles down into the sleepy Midwest life.

Kacey becomes friends with Jade and Bailey. They get into all sorts of hijinks together, including hosting a seance in a haunted barn.
That's why we're here. To see for ourselves.

To scare the shit out of ourselves. Because what else is there to do during a Broken Falls winter?
But the plan goes wrong, Kacey's 13-year-old sister insists that she comes with and Jade and Bailey are inexplicably pissed. To make things worse, all of them run out of the barn before they could get more than a few words out.

A few days later Bailey disappeared. Kacey knows something terrible has happened but no one, not even the police, are giving her the time of day. No matter how much she begs, no matter what evidence she manages to find.
"So, you're taking this seriously now?" I press. "It's already been almost forty-eight hours
And worst of all, every day Bailey's remains missing, the more evidence piles up against Kacey.
I know they say that hate can destroy a person. But I've never felt so alive.
A wonderfully thrilling read. It has a bit of a slow start but once you get to Bailey's journal entries. Wow. Just WOW!

The 2018 Finer Books Club Reading Challenge - A book recommended by a book blogger (Kat)

Link to her blog: Art of Feels

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Monsters.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Tani (new) - added it

Tani Yep, definitely gonna read this. Thanks for letting me know about this book through your review, Miranda. As always, fab review, dear. :-)

message 2: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay exactly how I felt the ENTIRE time hah

message 3: by John (new)

John Lord I swear, you must have an MA in writing reviews, or maybe a doctorate. Amazing, insightful, and accurate to the seed.

Miranda Reads Taniksha wrote: "Yep, definitely gonna read this. Thanks for letting me know about this book through your review, Miranda. As always, fab review, dear. :-)"

Miranda Reads Jay wrote: "exactly how I felt the ENTIRE time hah"

Omg. Annnd that tension! Especially at the end! So good

Miranda Reads John wrote: "I swear, you must have an MA in writing reviews, or maybe a doctorate. Amazing, insightful, and accurate to the seed."

Thank you!!

message 7: by Ana (new)

Ana Great review Miranda.

Miranda Reads Thank you :)

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia Ash I love WOW!!! Thanks for the insightful review, Miranda :)

Miranda Reads Haha, you're welcome :)

message 11: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson Don't you love it when a book makes you feel this way?

Miranda Reads Debra wrote: "Don't you love it when a book makes you feel this way?"

It's always so much fun to read books like this :)

Clare Snow You reminded me how much I loved this. Totally creeped out by that last 50pages!?

Miranda Reads Clare wrote: "You reminded me how much I loved this. Totally creeped out by that last 50pages!?"

Oh Em Gee. Yes. That ending was such a 90 degree turn. Loved it!!

message 15: by AoF (new) - rated it 5 stars

AoF YES, wasn't that ending crazy?! I'm so glad you liked it haha, it was certainly thrilling (and creepy)!

message 16: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna I'm REALLY intrigued now. Gotta read this.
Great review!!

message 17: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Do you think this would be okay for a 13 yr old? I have this book but haven’t read it yet. Thanks

Miranda Reads AoF wrote: "YES, wasn't that ending crazy?! I'm so glad you liked it haha, it was certainly thrilling (and creepy)!"

Agreed!

Miranda Reads Deanna wrote: "I'm REALLY intrigued now. Gotta read this.
Great review!!"

Definitely do!

Miranda Reads Ashley wrote: "Do you think this would be okay for a 13 yr old? I have this book but haven’t read it yet. Thanks"

Yes! Most definitely!