Hannah's Reviews > Inside Hudson Pickle

Inside Hudson Pickle by Yolanda Ridge

bookshelves: classroom-library-goals

Inside Hudson Pickle by Yolanda Ridge
Published by Kids Can Press Ltd. 2017

Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book — all opinions are my own.

As a female reader, I have never EVER found a male narrator that I could connect with and relate to the way I did with Hudson Pickle. Hudson has had to deal with some big changes leading up to junior high. He was kicked off the hockey team (he was too tall), he lost his best friend (after a big fight), and his hippy musician uncle is living in his house (because his own house just went up in flames…and he is being investigated for arson). As if these weren’t enough, Hudson may or may not like Willow, the smart, athletic, and kind girl in his careers class who he constantly finds himself saying embarrassing things to. Oh, and he also might have alpha-1, a genetic disorder affecting his lungs that would completely destroy his dreams of being a firefighter.

Inside Hudson Pickle tackles every insecurity, fear, and emotion a middle-school boy could muster, while also painting a realistic and beautiful picture of a family struck by tragedy and a single mother doing everything she can to protect that family. I would recommend this book to all readers of all ages.

#kidlitexchange
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Hudson Pickle.

February 12, 2018 – Started Reading