Angie's Reviews > As Brave As You

As Brave As You by Jason Reynolds

bookshelves: contemporary, middle-grade

My Review: After hearing Jason Reynolds speak at the Boston Teen Author Festival last year, I really wanted to pick up one of his books but super hero wasn't my thing (at the time his new release was Miles Morales); so I was intrigued by this book and decided to give it a shot. I was very pleasantly surprised, often I struggle with Middle Grade contemporary and connecting with the characters, but it wasn't the case with this one. The two brothers are taken from their home for a summer vacation with their grandparents, but there wasn't a lot of whining or complaining like you often get. The setting was vivid as were all the characters, each was unique and well rounded. The way the lessons were learned and conveyed in this story is so much like some of my own upbringing so was very relatable in that aspect. There was a touch of romance, though it was mostly just an attraction, and it doesn't take over the story, I really appreciated how the focus was able to remain on the dynamics of the family and the way the learn and relate with one another. It was definitely a read I would recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As Brave As You.

February 12, 2018 – Shelved