Maddie Driban's Reviews > The Steep & Thorny Way

The Steep & Thorny Way by Cat Winters

bookshelves: not-your-average-book-club, 2018-reads

The Steep and Thorny Way was thrilling, chilling, and completely fulfilling. I was pulled into the story from the first chapters and couldn't put it down. I loved reading about a young woman's strength and bravery, especially set in a time period that this was obviously rare and controversial....and meaningful. Feeling excited by a storyline filled with prejudice and discrimination surprised me a little, but also makes sense when I think about the resilience that also fills the pages. As a reader, the fear and love and betrayal and gumption and friendship of the characters felt so real. I loved seeing and feeling the different perspectives of people living in 1920's Oregon and the author's attention to detail and care in getting the characters and their stories right - she really did them justice.

Tying the story to the template of Hamlet was so creative and I loved the hints and references to this classic Shakespeare tale. Having a historical fiction/ghost story/adventure keeping me on the edge of my seat was really unique and special. Cat Winters certainly did her job as a writer, bringing hope and inspiration to a story of hardship - this is a book for anyone who has ever found themselves on a Steep and thorny path.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Steep & Thorny Way.

February 11, 2018 – Shelved