Leah Moyse's Reviews > Unconvicted

Unconvicted by Olly Jarvis

I was delighted when I learnt that Olly Jarvis had written a second novel featuring Jack Kowalski, the first Cut-Throat defence I reviewed here in 2016. I enjoyed this one equally or perhaps even slightly more.

Unconvicted is certainly a page turner and I do love a legal thriller. Olly Jarvis really manages to get under the skin of his characters. Jack in particular is wonderful, he has a real sense of right and wrong and wants to do good.

Featuring a few new cases, Unconvicted also sees the welcome return of Solicitor Lara. I love her straight talking attitude she seems to keep Jack grounded and always knows the right thing to say. The burgeoning romance between the two seems to bubble on the surface in this book too.

Olly Jarvis uses all of his technical abilitites and experience of the legal system to write with great accuracy but he also writes with warmth and sensitivity. In particular I refer to one of the cases that was very tricky for Jack Kowalski when as defence barrister he managed to get bail in a case when perhaps that wasn't the best course of action.

Short, sharp chapters keep the writing crisp and the reader engaged. There is so much here for the reader of legal thrillers to enjoy and if you haven't read anything by Olly Jarvis yet I implore you to do so.

Unconvicted is current, engaging, and relevant. Never bogged down with legal jargon. The pace of this novel is fantastic and I would highly recommend it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unconvicted.

Started Reading