sue's Reviews > The Forgotten Ones

The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, family-drama-based, net-galley, tear-jerker, womens-fiction

I really thought I had some books that were my best of this author........
until this one.

I have sat on this review for a couple of days, I needed to come clear with my thoughts.

This hit home to me, this brought out emotions in me that I didn't expect. I had someone say "don't you think some of what happened with David a bit far fetched?"

Have you ever loved someone so much that you would keep they're secrets? I have heard and read in newspapers and on media and its even been on past live news where someone would kill for love. So why not what happened within this book be just as 100% honest.

David had an impact on me. He loved strongly, he loved fast, he loved his wife so much he couldn't 'man up' to the fact as in her past there was mental health issues.

We are very good at seeing what we want to see and pushing aside what we don't want to accept, no more than David did.

His little girl was the apple of his eye.

He spent days on the road with his 'load' and when he saw a young girl with a small child he gave them a lift, except, she really had nowhere to go.
He offered to take them back where his wife could at least feed them.

They ended up remaining.

So now his little girl had another little girl to play with and share her room with.

That's all they ever wanted was a family but his wife had several miscarriages which must have been awful, devastating.

The dark side in this book was excellent, I don't want to give spoilers, you have to read this, this has shot into my top reads shelf for 2018 for when I sort them at the end of this year.

Its based on David in hospital, hes in severe pain, but as he says, if he was pain free there is no telling of hes alive or not, so he chooses to feel pain. No one can touch him without him in agony.

Davids daughter was no longer Daddy's little girl.
David's best friend was no longer in the picture.
David's granddaughter was the only connection made.

What happened? and why?

You need to read this.
I can't emphasis it enough, its an outstanding read.

Lake Union Publishing via net galley allowed me a copy which I am most grateful for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Ones.

February 11, 2018 – Shelved
March 19, 2018 –
17.0% "It’s after midnight and I thought I’d jump into this one just before bed. Will I never learn, I so want to carry on reading my eyes are watering with tiredness as I’ve already finished a book before this one.

This goes right into a man on his death bed....
I’m already invested in this story.
I need sleep though"
March 25, 2018 – Started Reading
March 27, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 28, 2018 –
99.0% "Review to come.

I went to bed tearful last night. Sorry for David, his daughter, his Granddaughter and his sister. Understanding Mental health helped me to fully understand David’s decisions, and how he got into the pickle he found himself in......no matter the seriousness of it all.

I’m sitting on this review to gather my thoughts.

Remarkable book!"
March 29, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
March 29, 2018 – Shelved as: family-drama-based
March 29, 2018 – Shelved as: net-galley
March 29, 2018 – Shelved as: tear-jerker
March 29, 2018 – Shelved as: womens-fiction

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

sue IF YOU HAVE AMAZON PRIME, THIS IS FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME

message 2: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne Davis Great review Sue! You convinced me!!!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Very thoughtful and well written review!

message 4: by Kendall (new) - added it

Kendall Wonderful review Sue! I loved this so much as well!

message 5: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Oh man, I’ve got to read this one too!! Excellent review.

Judy Collins Listening to audio now!

rosalie quaranta Sue, you summed it up completely. what an excellent book. i agree with everything you wrote. I could not put this book down.

message 8: by sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

sue Lynne is brilliant, you won’t regret it

message 9: by sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

sue Thank you SO much Rachel

message 10: by sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

sue Kendall, such a well thought out read. I agree

message 11: by sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

sue Chris it’s fab. Didn’t want it to end

message 12: by sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

sue Judy, what did you think

message 13: by sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

sue Roseallie thank you. Easy as it was a fab book

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie Fantastic review, Sue!! Well said! 💕