Chloe's Reviews > The Mark

The Mark by Jen Nadol

Oct 30, 2011

liked it
Read from October 30 to November 08, 2011

I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. I feel that the whole plot, barring the moral vacillation, could have been the first part of a larger book and I felt kind of incomplete when she finished. Or that this could have been a prequel and that the next book was really where the series started.

Despite the weird vibe, I was very intrigued by this book. I thought that the philosophical dilemma was a great place to take this paranormal, rather than the more popular route Nadol could have gone. I really don't care all that much for philosophy but it seemed like such a dilemma I was curious as to see what philosophers had to say.

Cassie seemed a little too good to be true, in some senses. I kind of enjoyed the parts where Lucas thought she was off her rocker because your true character shows through when you're desperate. I also loved the journey of family discovery and the ultimate knowledge she ended up with-it makes for a really exciting segue into the next book!

I didn't really like Lucas at all. He was very disingenuous, from the way his actions came off, not just toward the end of his time but in the beginning as well.

Also, you could totally tell who Cassie was going to run into again. The way that Nadol wrote Jack and Petra, you just knew that wasn't the last you would see of them. I mean, I knew the second that Cassie said she was going to Kansas she would run into Jack there. Somehow. And I was right!

I loved the inclusion of Greek myth, and I'm very glad I won an ARC of this because that means I can jump right into the sequel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mark.

11/06/2011 page 32