Brooke's Reviews > Our Homesick Songs

Our Homesick Songs by Emma Hooper

bookshelves: giveaways-won, kindle-reads

4.5 rating

In 2015, I had the pleasure of reading a little gem of a story called, Etta and Otto and Russell and James, and now musician Emma Hooper with the same lyrical and child-like style brings readers another beautifully crafted story: Our Homesick Songs, coming out this August!

Set in Newfoundland, Canada we follow the Conner family; Aidan and Martha and their two children Cora and Finn. We see a glimpse of how Aidan and Martha met as kids, but the main story focuses on Cora and Finn. This story is odd and magical, but overall a very beautiful one!!

When fish start disappearing completely in this fishermen populated town, families start disappearing too, because there is no work left. For Martha and Aidan they decide to switch off parenting every few months where one stays home and the other travels for work. The school has closed and so the kids are left to their own devices. Cora is creative and smart and decides she is going to decorate the abandoned houses resembling different countries and Finn decides he is going to sail in his small boat to a neighboring town where an elderly lady lives, named Mrs. Callaghan to learn the accordion and listen to her stories. Maybe through listening and playing Finn can find a way to bring the fish back and save his beloved home.

If you are not familiar with Emma Hooper’s writing style; it is very unique. It has a certain formula that suits song lyrics or poems, making it seem in parts like a child wrote it. I like this element to a point, but I’ll be honest sometimes this did get on my nerves, because I could see such a beautiful story forming and then the line would repeat itself.

But overall, I really really loved this! It’s a treat to finish this book and see the story as a whole!

Thanks to Simon & Schuster for giving me an advanced copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Homesick Songs.

February 11, 2018 – Shelved
February 11, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 24, 2018 – Started Reading
April 24, 2018 – Shelved as: kindle-reads
April 24, 2018 – Shelved as: giveaways-won
April 25, 2018 –
April 27, 2018 –
May 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Nice review, Brooke!

Elyse Walters Thanks for sharing about Etta and Otto.... I’m going to add it!

Great review- and thank you