Kathryn Cullen's Reviews > Harriet the Spy

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

F 50x66
Oct 30, 2011

liked it

This book is a classic book for older readers. I think that readers need to be between the ages 9-11. I like that Harriet is a spy. Throughout the book, she says she wants to be a writer when she grows up because she loves to spy. I also think that this book is a good book for older readers because I think that older readers can relate to her. Harriet is a noise little girl, she is stubborn, she is sneaky and she thinks many negative thoughts about people. She even thinks that her own mother is dumb. To many this can seem derogatory, however to older readers I feel that they can relate to her. Most older children are self- absorbed and worried about themselves. They also think bad things about others. I think that this book shows that it is a good idea to create a journal for your own personal thoughts and feelings. Older elementary aged children have problems with feeling left out or being excluded from different social groups. This book would help these students realize that they are not the only ones to be excluded. Many of other people have been excluded and deal with it in different ways. This book also allows for a teaching opportunity. It is good to teach kids that spying is not a good thing but sticking up for yourself and dealing with your feelings in your own way is a good thing to do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harriet the Spy.