Adara's Reviews > Cold Moon

Cold Moon by M.J. O'Shea

Oct 30, 2011

liked it
Read from May 08 to 09, 2012

Charlie Fitzgerald is not only Colin's little brother, but he's also a fairly small guy. He's known about the "family business" since he was fairly young and frankly couldn't wait to join up, but when his 18th birthday comes and goes without his parents giving him the talk his brothers received, he knows something is off. Turns out his parents think he's not cut out to be a vampire hunter and want him to have a normal life in college. Then he finds out his best friend Xan not only knows about all the strange things in this world, but he IS one of them, a dryad. And he has been Charlie's protector for his whole life because of and ancient dryad prophecy surrounding Charlie's family. Feeling betrayed by everyone around him, Charlie decides to take a Lycan Council contract to prove his worth. He succeeds in angering everyone, but he does get the job done. His relationship with Xan changes and then destiny arrives.

All in all, I think PC's book, Hunter's Moon, is the strongest of the trilogy, but this one caps things off nicely. I liked Xan and how he changed right before Charlie's eyes. Charlie's indignation as motivation was convincing. I guess I felt the story petered out some in the middle, after the contract but before destiny. The whole destiny scene felt anticlimactic: build up that didn't do much except get Xan and Charlie to a happier ending.

So I give it 3.5 stars, rounded down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Moon.

05/09/2012
81.0% "I hope the Forest gives Charlie a permanent home after he does what he's supposed to."