Wynne Katherine's Reviews > A Royal Affair

A Royal Affair by John  Wiltshire

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf

Fucking hell.

I'm fucking salty as shit right now because I have read 10 books this past week and DNF-ed 6 of them. So please note that the review down below will be laced with a lot of profanities.

description

This book hold my attention for approximately two pages, then all is lost.

The prologue had me interested, but then going it chapter one, it started droning on and on and on and on about how this guy was such a good doctor and how he became a doctor and who his patients were and just... Who the fuck cares man?

We weren't even one page into the book and already I have this characters who career story thrown at me like it's some kind of sacred shit. News flash baby, it's fucking not. I haven't even got to know the character yet and not even his personality, what makes you think I'd care or even want to know about his job or how he attained his degree or even about his patients?

And the writing. My fucking GOD. I think it's because I have had my fill of slow paced and flowery proses books this week that when I see the writing in this book, it literally makes me want to rip my hair out and fucking scream.

“His sister, Lady Caroline, who resided with him and his new young wife, listened to gossip. Her maid indulged her love of this harmless eccentricity and had told her about a doctor who was said to have knowledge of things he should not, who had studied his profession amongst heathens and had taken from them strange beliefs and even stranger ways. She was referring to me, of course, and to the years I had spent in the New World as a boy living with the Powponi. In England in those days, it was strange for a doctor to listen to his patient and consider how the world around him affected his health. But that is what I did. And so I was summoned by Lady Caroline to attend her brother.”

Please tell me you didn't start skimming after the first few sentence. Cause if you didn't, you're a better person than I will ever be.

And what is with the lack of dialogue? I mean, why make it into a sentence when you can quite literally smack a quotation mark on it and make it more interesting?

“I asked permission to sit alongside him, and it was granted. ”

“I asked if I could examine him. He nodded and closed his eyes, resigned to yet another failure from yet another doctor. Instead of touching him, I began to talk to him. I asked him simple questions, which he answered readily enough: what he feared, things he enjoyed doing. When I deemed him ready, I moved our conversation on to his more recent history.”

I don't know. This just doesn't work for me. I went in to the book wishing for something more like angsty romance and a lot of action, but what I got was this.

I guess if you enjoy reading. Yes, I mean it in the most literal way. And I mean reading lots of lots of lots of lengthy ass sentences with no context and those sentences that adds no value at all to the book, then maybe give this book a try. If not, don't even bother cause it's a waste of time.

description

Blog : Click here for more of my reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Royal Affair.

February 10, 2018 – Shelved
February 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 23, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 11, 2018 – Started Reading
March 11, 2018 –
1.0% "If I DNF this one too, I'm going back to reading YA"
March 11, 2018 – Shelved as: dnf
March 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Sabrina OMG no!! I'm laughing so hard, and I don't know why! LMAO.
Better luck next time babe.
Loved your review, even though I adore the book.

Wynne Katherine Sabrina The Trash Queen wrote: "OMG no!! I'm laughing so hard, and I don't know why! LMAO.
Better luck next time babe.
Loved your review, even though I adore the book."

Hahaha thank you love <3 Well, I am glad you had fun reading it at least, I guess the book just wasn't for me ;)

Ugh. I am going back to YA land to see what books I can read, I need some real angsty romance right now. I'm so done with all this DNFs lol

message 3: by DarienMoya (new) - added it

DarienMoya Boop!!

message 4: by Wynne (last edited Mar 11, 2018 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Wynne Katherine DarienMoya wrote: "Boop!!"

Ugh. This might be the fastest I have ever DNF-ed a book yet. Are you still planning on reading this one?

Sabrina YA is the land of angsty romances, so I guess you will get pretty luck! I would reccomend you to read some YA erotic books, they pretty much are entirally angsty love.

Wynne Katherine Sabrina The Trash Queen wrote: "YA is the land of angsty romances, so I guess you will get pretty luck! I would reccomend you to read some YA erotic books, they pretty much are entirally angsty love."

Ooooh, which one is it? I am planning to read The Raven Boys cause I have heard some good things about that one, but what books do you have in mind?

Sabrina The raven boys definally has what you are looking for. Well, The Man by Jodie Ellen is just filded with man angsty.

message 8: by DarienMoya (new) - added it

DarienMoya Not sure! I don’t think anytime soon though

Wynne Katherine Sabrina The Trash Queen wrote: "The raven boys definally has what you are looking for. Well, The Man by Jodie Ellen is just filded with man angsty."

OOOHHH I LOVE THAT SERIES!!! I am planning to re-read the series soon cause the fourth book is coming, but maybe sometime closer to March 20th so I dont have to wait long

Ahh then I will go with The Raven Boys then :D

message 10: by Wynne (new) - rated it 1 star

Wynne Katherine DarienMoya wrote: "Not sure! I don’t think anytime soon though"

*whispers* I think that is a good idea tbh

message 11: by DarienMoya (new) - added it

DarienMoya 🤣🤣🤣🤣

message 12: by Lyn (new)

Lyn Um, so sorry this was a bust and got you all kinds of pissed, BUT..thank you for the entertaining review, girlfriend! xx

Sabrina I didn’t know that there was another book coming out! Shit man, I’m going to get so pissed when I read it, I can feel it! But I’m still reading it, because I like torture.

message 14: by Wynne (new) - rated it 1 star

Wynne Katherine Lyn wrote: "Um, so sorry this was a bust and got you all kinds of pissed, BUT..thank you for the entertaining review, girlfriend! xx"

Hahaha thank you Lyn <3 I'm glad you enjoyed reading the review lol

message 15: by Wynne (new) - rated it 1 star

Wynne Katherine Sabrina The Trash Queen wrote: "I didn’t know that there was another book coming out! Shit man, I’m going to get so pissed when I read it, I can feel it! But I’m still reading it, because I like torture."

There's another one coming? Holy crap. I thought this one was a duo logy.
I hope you enjoy when you do read it though Sab <3

message 16: by Bo (new)

Bo LOL. I totally started skimming after the first sentence just like you said.😂😂 What a fucking sincerest!😴 Hope your next read is better!

message 17: by Wynne (new) - rated it 1 star

Wynne Katherine Bo wrote: "LOL. I totally started skimming after the first sentence just like you said.😂😂 What a fucking sincerest!😴 Hope your next read is better!"

Hahaha I am glad I am not alone in this :D And thank you Bo! <3

message 18: by Alex ♈ (new)

Alex ♈ Sorry, Wynne, it didn't work out for you!
I DNF a lot, why force myself??? :-)
Amazing gifs *lol*
The next read will be a good one! <3

message 19: by Wynne (new) - rated it 1 star

Wynne Katherine I know, but the amount of DNFs i have had this week was going out of control. It felt like every single book i picked up was the same 😫

But i am starting a new book and a lot of people seems to love that series. So i am hoping it turns out to be good too *fingers crossed* 😂 and thank you for the kind words Alex 💕😘😘