Kali Napier's Reviews > The Women in Black

The Women in Black by Madeleine St. John

bookshelves: aww2018

I don't usually have to think long and hard at the end of a novel as to whether I enjoyed it or not. It's usually a gut response. The Women in Black by Madeleine St John is set in Sydney of 1960 in the ladies' frocks department of FG Goode's. The story is essentially a series of vignettes of the lives of the central characters of Lisa/Lesley, a high-school leaver working a casual Christmas job; Patty, whose husband leaves out of the blue, forcing her to cover for his disappearance to her family, colleagues, and his work; Fay, whose yearning for a man is at odds with the mores of the time, as she wants romance and passion; and Magda, an Eastern European, a new Australian whose food, style, and passion for life, come into contrast with the values and attitudes of the women in black at FG Goode's. There isn't much of a plot, and the trajectories of the ladies' lives are predictable and inevitable, but I feel I enjoyed dipping into an era. When I finished it, I thought 'meh', but leaving writing the review for a little while, I found my thoughts drifting back to the characters, and the light satire of this novel of manners.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Women in Black.

February 9, 2018 – Started Reading