Esil's Reviews > Our Homesick Songs

Our Homesick Songs by Emma Hooper

bookshelves: netgalley

Our Homesick Songs was so beautiful — beautifully written and a beautiful playful depiction of human emotions in the face of difficult times. The story focuses on a family living in a very small dying community in Newfoundland. There are two intertwined timelines. In the 1970s, we see Martha and Aidan in their teens, finding each other as they survive difficult family situations. In the early 1990s, Martha and Aidan are parents to 14 year old Cora and 11 year old Finn. The fisheries have collapsed and Martha and Aidan take turns flying out to Alberta to work in resource camps. Meanwhile, the village is dying and Cora and Finn are the only children left. Bleak, I know. And it gets bleaker but I don’t want to give any spoilers. But what made this a 5 star read was the playful, ever slightly surreal feel of the story. It’s hard to describe, but Hooper infuses the story with music, poetry and nature in a way that makes the hard times bearable. None of it is flowery or overwrought. It’s simple, hard hitting and beautiful. I loved the characters and the story. One of my favourite books of the year. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an opportunity to read an advance copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Homesick Songs.

February 9, 2018 – Shelved
February 9, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 9, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 3, 2018 – Started Reading
August 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Debbie Beauteous review, Esil! This one sounds awesome! Thanks for the rec. I’ve already downloaded it!

Angela M Fantastic review, Esil . Totally agree - a beautifully written story!

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Wonderful - I look forward to reading!

Marialyce Just finished this one and loved it as well.

message 5: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi It's hard to resist this glowing review, Esil!

Esil Debbie wrote: "Beauteous review, Esil! This one sounds awesome! Thanks for the rec. I’ve already downloaded it!"

Thanks Debbie. I hope you like it!

Esil Angela M wrote: "Fantastic review, Esil . Totally agree - a beautifully written story!"

Thanks Angela. This one took me by surprise. I just loved it.

Esil Lisa wrote: "Wonderful - I look forward to reading!"

Thanks Lisa. I hope you love it.

Esil Marialyce wrote: "Just finished this one and loved it as well."

Glad you liked it Marialyce. Looking forward to your review.

message 10: by Esil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esil Candi wrote: "It's hard to resist this glowing review, Esil!"

You should definitely give it a try, Candi.

message 11: by JanB (new)

JanB And a beautiful review Esil! I’m so tempted to download it but I’m so behind in review books. But I’ll definitely add to the tbr :)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Stunning review, Esil, that fits right along with this lovely book! I just finished it, and agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts.

Elyse Walters Wonderful review --Thank You, Esil!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll take your word for this --and add it -- I'll put my name on the library list now. Thanks xox

message 14: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Wow, awesome review. You make it sound so memorable!

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara a favorite of the year??? Must be good! I'll add it. Great review

Cheri Lovely review, Esil, I am so glad you loved this one, too.

message 17: by Esil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esil JanB wrote: "And a beautiful review Esil! I’m so tempted to download it but I’m so behind in review books. But I’ll definitely add to the tbr :)"

Thanks JanB. I highly recommend it. It is a Read Now on Netgalley :)

message 18: by Esil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esil Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Stunning review, Esil, that fits right along with this lovely book! I just finished it, and agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts."

Thanks Jennifer. I’m so glad to hear that you liked it too.

message 19: by Esil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esil Antoinette wrote: "Wow, awesome review. You make it sound so memorable!"

Thanks Antoinette. I definitely found it memorable.

message 20: by Esil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esil Barbara wrote: "a favorite of the year??? Must be good! I'll add it. Great review"

Thanks Barbara. I hope you love it.

message 21: by Esil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esil Cheri wrote: "Lovely review, Esil, I am so glad you loved this one, too."

Thanks Cheri. I’m glad to see you liked it too.

Diane S ☔ Terrific review, Esil.

message 23: by Esil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esil Diane S ☔ wrote: "Terrific review, Esil."

Thanks Diane!

message 24: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Terrific review, Esil. Love this observation"

"...what made this a 5 star read was the playful, ever slightly surreal feel of the story. It’s hard to describe, but Hooper infuses the story with music, poetry and nature in a way that makes the hard times bearable."