Sam's Reviews > Sh*t My Dad Says

M 50x66
Oct 30, 2011

did not like it
Read in October, 2011

This is a lightweight book that takes under two hours to read. The author describes his own, real-life father, who aggressively provides advice and orders in a pithy, informative fashion laded with the profanities "sh*t", "godd*mn", and "f*ck". The book is short chapters, plus quotes of his father's. Apparently the quotes are taken from a Twitter feed. A couple of the better examples:

On Fair Play: "Cheating's not easy. You probably think it is, but it ain't. I bet you'd suck more at cheating than whatever it was you were trying to do legitimately."

On Aging: "Mom and I saw a great movie lost night ... No, I don't remember the name. It was about a guy or, no wait---fuck. Getting old sucks."

I found this book on my son's bookshelf, while he is off to college, and decided to give a read. (It seemed my son had never read the book.) I am a dad, and like the father in the book, live in San Diego, and eat grape nuts for breakfast every day. So I tend to identify with the father more than the son. I've been watching "The 70's Show" episodes in recent months (with my wife and son): the father in that show is similar to the father in the book. I have known plenty of people who talk more-or-less like this in frank situations, but not directly to their family. One has to wonder how the son dealt with a father expressing himself so strongly when he was young. Or the rest of the family for that matter. The 70's Show deals with this: the book here does not very much.

The book jacket describes the book glowingly as being "ridiculously funny" and "absolutely hilarious", and containing "lightning bolts of laughter". Maybe it's just me, but "mildly funny with a large dose of negativity" might match it better. Maybe the humor comes across better in the audio book though. The swearing doesn't bother me: it is only rather mild uses of "sh*t", "godd*mn", and "f*ck". The swearing injects a note of levity in fact; often it is the only note of levity. For example,

On Moving Out of My Parent's House for the First Time: "I'd say I was gonna miss you, but you're moving ten minutes away, so instead I'll just say don't come over and do your fucking laundry here."

This is a quite typical example of a quote for the book.

Postscript: Goodreads has the title of the book wrong: The correct title is "Sh*t My Dad Says". That is, with an asterisk.

ADDED LATER: I have now downgraded this book to just a single star (from my original two stars) to be more consistent with my other ratings.

ADDED MUCH LATER: Goodreads has corrected the title of the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sh*t My Dad Says.

07/31/2016 marked as: read