Debra's Reviews > Annihilation

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

liked it

I picked up this book at my local library because I saw the movie trailer and was intrigued. Knowing it was based on a book, I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie.

Four women, an Anthropologist, a Surveyor, a Psychologist, and a Biologist (the narrator) make up the 12th expedition to AREA X. They do not share their names - names aren't necessary, their research is the most important thing these women need to focus on while in Area X. Area X is an area which has been cut off from the rest of the continent for decades. Many expeditions have gone into the area but were their expeditions successful - the first came back basically describing a utopia, others came back not quite themselves and died soon thereafter from cancer and some committed suicide.

I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to volunteer to join in on any of these expeditions after knowing those facts; however, these women enter Area X. The Biologist's husband was on Expedition 11 and his return was not quite so happy because he wasn't quite himself anymore.

The women on their expedition, encounter various strange life forms, an interesting topography and learn that one of them may have secrets. I will leave it at that. This book is a very fast read. I read it in one sitting. The book has a creepy feel as I never quite knew if Area X was an alien environment, had nature "found a way" or perhaps turned on them, was this some strange evolution thing going on, etc. You get the picture. I had a lot of questions while reading this book that never quite got answered. Plus, one character seemed to have secrets and we never go to learn about them. This is the first book in the series and hopefully there will be some answers to the questions.

I went back and forth while thinking about rating this book. Do I give it a 3 or a 3.5-star rating? I did sit and read it in one sitting. It completely sucked me in. I enjoyed the writing and the story, but it also frustrated me as I had so many questions while reading it. Of course, the Author is not going to answer all my questions, that is what the next two books are for, but I still wanted just "something" more. I also appreciated how this book was a blending on genres: Science fiction, horror, mystery, etc.

See more of my reviews at www.openbookpost.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annihilation.

January 29, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
January 29, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
February 9, 2018 – Started Reading
February 9, 2018 – Shelved
February 9, 2018 –
page 41
February 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I agree, Debra. I wanted “something” more but not enough to read the other two books. Nice review!

RedemptionDenied Great review, Debra!

message 3: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Tammy wrote: "I agree, Debra. I wanted “something” more but not enough to read the other two books. Nice review!"

right now, I don't have any plans to read the next book in the series either. May watch the movie.

message 4: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review, Debra!"

Thank you!

message 5: by PirateSteve (new)

PirateSteve Fabulous review, Ms.Debra

message 6: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra PirateSteve wrote: "Fabulous review, Ms.Debra"

Thank you, Sir!

message 7: by Fran (new)

Fran Great review, Debra!

message 8: by Tay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tay Great review Debra. I'm almost halfway and like you mention there are more questions than answer but it's a fast read. I'm planning on reading book 2 if it's available at the library.

message 9: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Tay wrote: "Great review Debra. I'm almost halfway and like you mention there are more questions than answer but it's a fast read. I'm planning on reading book 2 if it's available at the library."

Thanks Tay! Let me know what you think of book 2!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Debra, that's the exact same reason I bought the book!!

message 11: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Martin wrote: "Debra, that's the exact same reason I bought the book!!"

: )

message 12: by Dianne (new)

Dianne I actually have this from the library now and keep waffling on it. Nice review!

message 13: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Dianne wrote: "I actually have this from the library now and keep waffling on it. Nice review!"

Thanks Dianne!

message 14: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Debra!!

message 15: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Deanna wrote: "Great review, Debra!!"

Thank you Deanna!

message 16: by Tay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tay Debra wrote: "Tay wrote: "Great review Debra. I'm almost halfway and like you mention there are more questions than answer but it's a fast read. I'm planning on reading book 2 if it's available at the library."
..."

I finally read book 2 and have to say it was not a great follow up to book one. It actually went into a new direction and was quite boring at times.

message 17: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Tay wrote: "Debra wrote: "Tay wrote: "Great review Debra. I'm almost halfway and like you mention there are more questions than answer but it's a fast read. I'm planning on reading book 2 if it's available at ..."

Oh No! Thanks for the heads up. I will skip that one!

message 18: by Dave (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dave Humphrey One of few times where the movie was better than the book. I only read it because the movie was so well done and thought-provoking and it turns out that wholesale changes were made from the book and those changes were for the better. Give it a watch, I'd be curious about your comparison having read it first.

message 19: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Dave wrote: "One of few times where the movie was better than the book. I only read it because the movie was so well done and thought-provoking and it turns out that wholesale changes were made from the book an..."

I am on the list for the movie at my library. I'll let you know what I think when I see it.

Beverly I felt the same way Debra. I wonder if any answers are forthcoming in the next 2 books? Too vague for me to worry about.😃

message 21: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I had the same experience, Debra! Nice review

message 22: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Beverly wrote: "I felt the same way Debra. I wonder if any answers are forthcoming in the next 2 books? Too vague for me to worry about.😃"

I am glad that I am not alone. I wont be reading the next two books. I checked the move out from my library and didn't care for that either. Oh well...one to other books!

message 23: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Tammy wrote: "I had the same experience, Debra! Nice review"

Thank you Tammy!