FicTalk Blog's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith

Oct 30, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed-in-2011

Reviewed by Heather

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith was a very intriguing read. The author opens the book up with a small shop owner receiving a package from a mysterious customer. Surprisingly, the shop owner is the author himself and the package is the missing journal of Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States.

This book is written as journal entries made by Abe Lincoln himself. The beginning follows Abraham Lincoln as he is growing up. We see how heartbroken he is over the death of his mother. Only now, unlike in history books before, we learn that her death was due to a deal that his father made with a vampire.

When Abe learns of his father’s deceit, he decides that he will rid the world of vampires. He begins to hunt them at night and even going on long trips, telling his father that he is actually going to look for work. He has his trusty ax and long leather coat and even develops other tools for his hunting.

While out on a hunt one night, Abe is captured by a mysterious man, Henry. We learn that Henry is a vampire and wants Abe’s help to rid the country of the evil vampires. He begins to write Abe letters, listing only a name and a location. It is Abe’s job to go and kill the vampire listed.

Abe learns that slaves are being sold to vampires because no one would miss them. So, with the country intent on keeping slaves, they are also nourishing the vampire population unknowingly. This is how Abe decides he will abolish slavery. With Henry’s help, Abe is able to get voted to Congress and later to the highest government role in the country, president.

This book was so interesting to me. I had a hard time putting it down. The way Smith weaves actually history with the vampire events of this book have you actually wondering if this is indeed how history happened. The little things especially…like why Abe Lincoln started growing a beard later in life. We learn in this book that it was to hide a scar on his chin he got during one of his battles.

If you are a history buff who doesn’t mind having a little fiction thrown in for good measure, I think you should give this book a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.