Robin's Reviews > This Will Only Hurt a Little

This Will Only Hurt a Little by Busy Philipps

liked it
bookshelves: memoir-celebrity, kindle-drc

Busy is one of those minor celebrities that even though I've never seen her in any movie or TV series, has been on the side of my radar. I knew nothing about her Instagram popularity and wasn't sure I cared for her "style" so I'm not sure why I wanted to read her "memoir" but probably because I thought her experiences in the business would be interesting plus I heard she dishes a little dirt and I'm always up for that.

That all being said, I had hoped to leave this memoir empathizing and liking her but it's quite the opposite. While her candid stories (warts and all) of family, friends, and colleagues kept my attention, her over-the-top emotions (and writing style) got a little tiring and at times I felt she was just a little too much of a drama queen. And it's probably because I'm such a practical person but I find it annoying when someone is smart but lacks any common sense. For example, I've read other memoirs where the celebrity author makes a lot of money then fritters it away. When Busy talks about a Disney cruise her parents paid for, she mentions the $3000 Internet fees she racked up thanks to her social media postings and says, "And so me to not know I was spending so much money." Sorry, but as one who has scrimped and carefully saved over the years, it's difficult to understand this kind of callous attitude and didn't find her as "sparkly" as she thought she is.

Bottom line is if you are a fan or like these kinds of conversational essays written as memoirs by young celebrities (Ellie Kemper, Anna Faris, Whitney Cumnmings, for example) by all means, give it a try. And also, please remember I'm getting close to my dotage so perhaps I'm not the best audience for this type of book.

Thanks to the publisher for an advance digital reading copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Will Only Hurt a Little.

February 9, 2018 – Shelved