Kars's Reviews > Surveillance Valley: The Secret Military History of the Internet

Surveillance Valley by Yasha Levine

bookshelves: history, non-fiction, politics, science, technology

A tour the force. Levine offers a radically alternative history of the internet. Like most people I bought into the narrative of its inherently liberatory nature for quite some time. My career would not exist if it wasn't for the internet, so like many of my peers I am severely biased towards it. But for a while now, a sense of unease with this perspective had been growing. And this book was the final nail in the coffin for me. The internet was conceived as a weapon of social control and surveillance, by governments with aid from the private sector. There is nothing inherently good about it. Levine convincingly shows how flawed the internet freedom movement is. The only way we can make this technology work for the many, is by increasing the democratic control over it. It is no mean feat, but at least now we have our eye on the ball.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surveillance Valley.

February 9, 2018 – Shelved