Sharon Paavola's Reviews > The Great Alone

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

Kristin Hannah's writing has mesmerized me before so I didn't hesitate to request The Great Alone on Net Galley. The time period and the place drew me in. I was in college in the 1970s and my husband and I watch some real life TV programs of families living off the grid in the upper north of Alaska. This novel grabbed me immediately. Leni, a young teen and her parents are the main characters. Her father has returned from the Viet Nam war as a POW suffering from PTSD. Life becomes quite erratic for these three. He struggles to maintain a job moving them often. He eventually devises a plan for a new start by moving to Alaska. Leni's mom sees hope in his decision so she begins to prepare for the new adventure. But nothing could equip them for what they encountered. Once in Alaska, life changed rapidly.

I must warn you that the book contains family abuse, violence, and desperation. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the novel. Will hope arise for Leni or her parents? Can they survive the daunting wilderness of Alaska?

I received a copy from Net Galley. I was not compensated for this review. All thoughts are my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Alone.

February 9, 2018 – Shelved