Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession's Reviews > The Proposal

The Proposal by Mary Balogh

3 Meh Stars

The Proposal was my first Mary Balogh book, and it was just okay for me. The first half went very slow. I found myself very bored at times. The second half was much better, but still kinda slow. I really liked Gwen. I found her to be sweet, smart, and loyal. Hugo on the other hand was hard to warm up to. He was wishy washy, very dull, and at times flat. I think the author meant for him to be broody, damaged, and deep. Instead he came off one dimensional. Hugo drove me nuts with his.... should I court Gwen? Yes I will court her! I love her. No I will not court her she is upper class and I am middle class it will never work!, and around and around he went. I want a hero that knows what he wants and goes for it. Mary Balogh had a very old world writing style that reminded me of Jane Austen which I loved. However she was very long winded and wordy. At times she would have both Gwen and Hugo relive the same scene making it redundant. Still there was enjoyable moments to the book. So I gave it a middle of the road 3 stars. The second half really helped save this book for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Proposal.

February 8, 2018 – Shelved
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: meh-reads
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: own-book
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
April 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla Terrific review, darlin’! Sorry it wasn’t better for you.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Excellent review babe 💗💗

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith Great review, babe,x

Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘ Awesome review, Jessica :D!

message 5: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Fab review Jessica! :)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Karla wrote: "Terrific review, darlin’! Sorry it wasn’t better for you."

Thanks Karla :)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Michelle wrote: "Excellent review babe 💗💗"

Thanks Michelle :)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Judith wrote: "Great review, babe,x"

Thanks Judith :)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘ wrote: "Awesome review, Jessica :D!"

Thanks Elise :)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Aisling Zena wrote: "Fab review Jessica! :)"

Thanks Aisling :)

message 11: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Great review, hon xx

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Oooh too bad it was meh for you Jessica ;-)

Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕ AWESOME review hun! <3 xoxo

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕ wrote: "AWESOME review hun! <3 xoxo"

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" wrote: "Oooh too bad it was meh for you Jessica ;-)"

Nicola wrote: "Great review, hon xx"

Thanks Nicola, Sophie, and Sonya :)

message 15: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Sorry it was just meh...I hope your next read is a great one! Great review though!! :)

message 16: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Triad Great review Jessica 💋❤

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ I'm glad to hear the second half was better than the first. :) Wonderful review, Jessica!

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ wrote: "I'm glad to hear the second half was better than the first. :) Wonderful review, Jessica!"

Sophia wrote: "Great review Jessica 💋❤"

Deanna wrote: "Sorry it was just meh...I hope your next read is a great one! Great review though!! :)"

Thanks Deanna, Sophia, and Jen :)