Kaitlin Bartlett's Reviews > Sadie

Sadie by Courtney Summers

bookshelves: read-in-2018, amazing-audiobooks, read-in-2019, reread
Read 2 times. Last read April 1, 2019 to April 12, 2019.

Unputdownable. Courtney Summers writes some the best protagonists in YA, and this book is no exception. SADIE is gritty, fantastic storytelling. Part of it is told through a podcast transcript, a creative format that I loved. In the vein of ALL THE RAGE (one of my favorite books of all time), SADIE examines what we as a society do to young girls, how we project onto them our own ideas of who they are. Though he has the best of intentions, West McCray (the creator of the podcast The Girls that explores the murder of Sadie's younger sister and Sadie's own disappearance) doesn't know Sadie and is, in a way, profiting from her disappearance.

While the podcast builds the image of Sadie and her past, Sadie's POV chapters give us insight into the girl herself: a girl out for vengeance, a girl with nothing left to lose. Her younger sister, one of the only good things in her life, was murdered, and Sadie knows who is responsible.

Courtney and SADIE just hit the New York Times Bestseller list, and it is so, so deserved. You won't be able to put this one down and will be thinking about it long after the final page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sadie.

February 8, 2018 – Shelved