Stoyan Stoyanov's Reviews > With a Head Bent High

With a Head Bent High by Edward-William Bradford

2196598
Oct 29, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, fiction-short-stories

This is a book of short stories. Each is unique in its own way but if there is a unifying theme, it is the search for happiness and love and often finding them in unexpected places. Some stories are funny ("Sleepless Nights"), some are really sad ("Samantha") and Mr. Bradford always manages to pull ever so gently at your heartstrings. Believe me, you cannot possibly remain indifferent to any of his characters. The style is direct and the narrative unfolds effortlessly. Mr. Bradford took me on many journeys... from New York City to the jungles of Brazil, or the great Kilimanjaro... all the way to Heaven, and Hell. And with every journey, the world seems a brighter place than when we last looked, the people -- kinder and more humane. There is a touch of magical realism here and the comparison to the great Gabriel Garcia Marquez would be fully justifiable. This is a fresh new voice in storytelling. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With a Head Bent High.