Nicole's Reviews > Romanov

Romanov by Samaire Wynne

it was ok

I received an ARC in partnership with Xpresso Book tours in exchange for an honest review.

I really hate to give a bad review when I was kindly given this ARC, but it just didn't work for me. I don't think I can do the vampire romance sub-genre at all anymore. I keep trying, but I keep hating it.

The premise of this book was great-- the Romanovs and Rasputin as vampires? Yes! Makes total sense. The execution was lacking. Honestly, these characters could've been anyone. Focusing only on Alix, Anastasia, and Alexei, the fact that they were three members of the Romanov family added absolutely nothing to the story and this is a huge miss, a huge waste of potential.

The family dynamics are weird and don't even get me started on Lexei and Julia going on a date.

I absolutely loved all the magical lore-- dragons, fae, shetani, but there were definitely too many ideas in here. The plot is all over the place. The only consistent story is the romance between Anna and Eric, and romance is not my thing. It skips back and forth between too many settings and too points of view, honestly.

The writing is very straight-forward and it's a quick read, so this could work for someone else. For me, the only thing that worked were the cats' names: Jinx and Gypsy, too cute!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Romanov.

February 8, 2018 – Started Reading
February 8, 2018 – Shelved
February 8, 2018 –
page 59
February 9, 2018 –
page 100
February 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Bethany Agree, 100%