Krystle Able's Reviews > Kiss Me Like You Mean It

Kiss Me Like You Mean It by J.R. Rogue

"There is little life in waiting for someone who is never coming back. So I liked to Pretend. Pretending was easy, and I was good at it."
"You underestimate my ability to pull others down. There was a heaviness to my words. I'll pull you down. Ill watch that smile leave your eyes."
"It was silly to think that one day he would wake up and magically decide to make a girlfriend out of the girl who was giving her body to him freely."
"I let my dreams slip away because my anxiety was a bigger monster than they were."
"..what do you do when someone is your soulmate, and you aren't theres?"

It's a weird feeling to meet a character that shares some of the same ugly parts that you do. Has made the same mistakes, is living through some of the same things that you have/are. A character that makes you hate yourself because the blunt honest truth is right there staring you in the face as words on a page, but then makes you love yourself for the same reason. We are all broken, some of us are more broken than others, but even shattered people can be put back together again. It may take a long time, but if you are willing to put in the work, wounds can be mended, even if scars are left behind. Jen does a good job reminding us in this novel that even the most seemingly perfect people can hide their demons very well, or not well at all sometimes, and that we are all works in progress.
I really enjoyed reading the connection between Jen's life and her Novel Burning Muses and the explanation behind how that story came about through this story. This book was raw emotion that poured off the pages in heartbreaking but beautiful prose. The story was an intimate look into Jen's life and if I had to critique something in the story I would say that the plot felt a little jumpy at times. I wasn't always sure of the time line, or how much time had passed between chapters. The writing style reminded me of Atheists Who Kneel and Pray by Tarryn Fisher in a lot of ways. I had the same issue with the jumps in time in that novel too, but a lot of people really love that. I see a lot of benefit in telling a story that takes place over a long period of time in a more anecdotal way, and I really couldn't give a suggestion for how to make the transitions in time smoother unless you were going to mark the chapters with month and years so I can't even take off a star for that!
I love Jen's writing. I spend a lot of time highlighting on my kindle with everything I read of hers. I love that I can put faces to names in this novel because Jen is so open about certain aspects of her life and I love-hate that at the end she mentioned that a lot of the novel is the truth and a lot of the novel is a lie. I think this book will have many more readers intrigued with who J.R. Rogue is and what she has to offer to the literary community.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss Me Like You Mean It.

Finished Reading
February 8, 2018 – Shelved
February 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Ashley Beautiful review.