Shiloah's Reviews > Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by Fiona Carnarvon

Tonight I finished up the book Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey. I read this book because I enjoyed Downton Abbey and I love biographies. What I didn’t expect was that I’d be caught up in such a wonderful story. The vast amount of knowledge I obtained about the Great War (WW1) was astounding. The family was a huge part of serving Britain during the war, both on the frontlines and in opening the house as a hospital (as the TV series portrays). As an added bonus, I learned that her husband was the discoverer of King Tutankhamun’s tomb in Egypt. All the family’s excavation trips to Egypt brought to life the books by Elizabeth Peters that I’m currently reading. She wrote so accurately of that time and it was amazing how familiar I was with the excavation efforts just from a fictional standpoint. What a wonderful reading journey this book was. The following quote brings truth to the reading experience.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” ~ George R.R. Martin

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey.

February 8, 2018 – Shelved