Cela Day's Reviews > The Spirit of Caledonia

The Spirit of Caledonia by D.J. Edwardson

60199219

bookshelves: fantasy

A suspenseful speculative short story that is well worth reading! I discovered DJ Edwardson because he "liked" one of my reviews (Sinclair Ferguson's John Owen on the Christian Life). Because Edwardson writes speculative fiction from a Christian perspective (as I do), I was curious about his work and checked out his website, which led me to this story. At the time of this writing, "The Spirit of Caledonia" is a free short.

I knew nothing about it when I began reading (not even the exact genre). Interestingly, I think I might have enjoyed it a little less if I had known. As it turned out, I had no idea what to expect as the suspense mounted during the first part of the story. What will happen to this poor widow, still grieving so many years after her husband was lost at sea?

I had no idea how the author would resolve this question as the story's tone became more ominous, so I was completely surprised by a terrific plot twist when it came. Yes, this turn came suddenly, and it took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on, but it was one of those thoroughly enjoyable moments when all the reader can think is: "This is SO cool!" I don't want to say more for fear of spoilers, but I found it an intriguing read!

Now I'm looking forward to Edwardson's just-released, full-length fantasy novel The Last Motley-I don't think it will spoil anything to say that I opened it up and saw "Caledonia" on the map of his fantasy world, so if you're one of the "The Spirit's" readers who thought this story too short, you now have an opportunity to read a full-length novel that appears to be set in the same world!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spirit of Caledonia.

Started Reading