Atheinne's Reviews > The Now or Never Moment: Omnibus

The Now or Never Moment by Katie Kaleski

it was ok
bookshelves: 2018, netgalley

What I saw interesting in this book is the cover along with its synopsis. It pushed a button in me that made me want to read it. But alas! A good read wasn't what I was expecting. Let me break it down on the next paragraphs

Before I start writing about what I felt toward the book, let's get on with a brief overview about its content.

The book is written in two point of views: Tanner's, which is in first person, and Shelby's which is in third person. Tanner Tally is a guy who lives his high school life with bullying as a prime part in his life. All the events that happened in his four years in high school, he wrote down and shared those moments in his letter that he addressed to Shelby, his best friend since first year, and the girl he is deeply in love with ever since they met. Love, and transformation are what this book is mainly about.

This book clearly speaks about bullying and hot it affects its victims. Most of the time, the change doesn't seem obvious, but it's there somewhere. Bullying shouldn't be left unnoticed. The constant torment of getting physical and emotional damage is exhausting. And there's a limit to being exhausted.

Sometimes, bullying is being shrugged off, which is a HUGE problem. Bullying blows away a person's self-esteem--a vital part of being an individual. It's so easy to say, "oh, they'll be fine." or "they'll get over it." NO. That is definitely not the case! There's more to it than the eyes can see.

As for my opinion on the book, I felt that the book contained so much teenage hormones that it would sometimes make me cringe. Especially with Tanner. I felt uncomfortable on some parts of his letter, and I think he didn't have to be that detailed. But maybe that was him simply trying to pour his heart out. He would sometimes frustrate me with the decisions he made (thus the lack of one star in my ratings) but that could've been the effect of bullying. He could sometimes be self-absorbed and stubborn that he would sort of close himself from the help of others.

What frustrated me the most was his love for Shelby that was like an endless sea. Even with being in a relationship with other girls, his mind and heart was still with Shelby. I mean, he's got to give some credits to the other ladies! Especially Dana.

Speaking of, Dana is my favourite character in the book. Although viewed as someone who acts like a queen B (I don't like to swear), she was a fierce lady. I loved that she was an ever supportive friend (but in her own way). I think there was something genuine about her and that her personality was likeable. Even though she could be sarcastic at times and sort of a B.

In terms of structure, I felt that the story lacks something. Maybe some meat, maybe some in depth character because I could barely imagine how they felt and it was sometimes hard to relate emotions with them (another one star deduction). It also felt like the characters' voices were far from their own and I find it uncomfortable because they didn't sound like themselves. (And the last one star deduction).

Lastly, the ending. I think it was okay. There was closure but at the same time, it also got me thinking, what? That's all?. It sounded incomplete and that was sort of unsastisfying. Especially with Shelby! That girl got me screaming whaaaaaaat??? and girl, you have a lot of explanation to make.

Overall, to me, the emotional impact was medium high but the structure was the one that pulled it down. Nevertheless I was able to finish the book.

If you're looking for a summer read, maybe you'd like to check this book out! Just be aware for the triggers: suicidal ideation, depression, bullying

**I received a free copy of this book from the author via Netgalley for an honest review**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Now or Never Moment.

February 8, 2018 – Started Reading