Kristen Burns's Reviews > Nimona

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

3.5 Stars

Review:
Since I both listened to the audiobook for this and read the graphic novel, I figured I would review both in one go!

Audiobook Review:

I listened to the audio before reading the graphic novel version. It was one of my first audiobooks, and my very first graphic novel audiobook.

This particular one had a full cast doing the characters' voices, sound effects (explosions, wings flapping, coins clinking, fighting, etc.), and the occasional narration. I thought it did a great job of balancing just enough narration to explain things that needed explaining without bogging the story down and spoon-feeding the reader, and I wonder if there might've been some dialogue added at times to further clarify things. I'll admit there were a few scenes where I had some difficulty figuring things out, and when I read the print version, I did notice some details and things I hadn't realized when just listening, but I was usually able to figure out and picture what was going on well enough.

As far as the audio itself goes, I'd give that aspect an A+.

Graphic Novel Review:

The artwork wasn't quite to my taste, but that's just a personal thing. It was very cartoon-y and sketchy, and everyone had such tiny hands. I did like though that Nimona didn't have the stereotypical "perfect" thin hourglass figure that women in comics usually have. And it was nice to be able to see the facial expressions of the characters since I missed that in the audiobook.

As for the story itself, it wasn't what I expected, although that's not necessarily a bad thing. It was more Blackheart's story than Nimona's. Also, I thought it would just be silly and funny, and it did have its funny moments, but it was more serious and bittersweet.

Now the characters... to be honest, I found Nimona annoying, but Blackheart had a surprisingly kind heart. I liked him. And although Goldenloin was a silly stereotype and Blackheart's enemy at the beginning, he grew on me as I started to see more of him.

I also liked the friendship between Nimona and Blackheart. It was sweet how protective of her he was, and their silly squabbles about zombie movies and board games was cute. I also loved how Nimona was always climbing all over everything, including Blackheart (e.g. hanging over his shoulder while reading the top secret stuff); it made their relationship even cuter.

*VERY MILD SPOILER* (view spoiler) *END SPOILER*

The reason I didn't rate this higher is because nothing really WOWed me about the book. Also, I felt like Nimona's past (I still don't understand that) and the relationship between Blackheart and Goldenloin both could've been explored more.

Overall though, this was a cute and somewhat touching graphic novel that I enjoyed listening to and reading.

Recommended For:
Anyone who likes cartoon-y artwork, not-so-villainous villains, sweet friendships, and enemies who used to be lovers.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

---------------------

Initial Thoughts:
I haven't read the GN version, but I just listened to the audiobook version of this. It had a full cast, sound effects, and bits of narration where necessary. I'm not sure how to rate it, but it was fun to listen to! And the story wasn't what I expected. I'd still like to read the GN version one day, and then I'll do a full review of both versions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nimona.

February 5, 2018 – Started Reading