Becky's Reviews > The Birds

Oct 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: classics, horror, mystery-and-thrillers, audiobook, 2011, reviewed
Read on October 29, 2011

I'm a little behind on my reading goal for this year, (4 books!) and so I was counting on Audible to help me out with some short horror that I could listen to and multitask and feel productive. I found this, which comes bundled with "Don't Look Now", on sale, so I snagged it. So what if they are technically novellas? Counts as a book in my... book.

Anyway, so I listened to it last night, and there were things I liked, and things I wanted more of, like story resolution.

I've only read one other du Maurier story, the one named after me *cough*, and I'm coming to realize, based on the two I've read, that du Maurier really enjoys leaving her stories with an air of mystery. Nothing is ever really explained or fully resolved by the end, and the reader is given the chance to play god (so to speak) and fix things up in their mind regarding the way the story wraps up. She just sets the stage and gets the thing rolling along.

In this case though... hmm. It feels like the story ends just when things are starting to get crazy. I'm OK with leaving the story open ended so that the reader can resolve things in the way that they are most hoping to see. Sometimes I think authors can give too much resolution and take away some of the enjoyment of the story. Seems like a fine line to walk - too much? too little? just right? and according to whom? Everyone will feel differently.

So, I'm kind of undecided. On the one hand, I really liked the story right up until the abrupt ending. It's suspenseful and there's that air of mystery I mentioned. The characters were pretty well fleshed out, and there was real, palpable danger. There were plausible theories provided for why the birds were acting this way, and what was driving them, and enough detail given to let the reader continue on with the story on their own. But at the same time, I really wanted to SEE how Nat would handle the crisis and protect his family. I wanted to see him fight and try to win.

I wanted just a bit more from this, but what was there was good. I also really, really liked the reader. I loved his voice and the low urgency he gave the reading when not doing the character dialogue. It really set the tone of the book quite nicely.

Horror October #13

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Birds.

10/30/2011
08/17/2016 marked as: read

Kathy Where did you get this? I've looked and looked for this!

message 2: by Becky (last edited Oct 30, 2011 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Becky Audible- they have The Birds and Don't Look Now bundled together for about $6 and today's the last day of their sale pricing: http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_11...

Edit: I think that might only be for members, so if you're not a member, let me know. ;)

Kathy Thanks, Becky. I actually signed up to get this. Not sure how long I'll stay, but I'll give it a shot.