Monnie's Reviews > The Strange Death of Father Candy

The Strange Death of Father Candy by Les Roberts

Oct 29, 2011

Read from October 29 to 30, 2011

I'm a big fan of the Les Roberts books featuring Milan Jacovich, so I figured giving his latest book, which doesn't include the Cleveland private detective, a try was a smart move. When I learned most of it takes place in Youngstown, Ohio - maybe a dozen miles from our home and a city where I worked for 14 years collecting and writing about local news - I jumped at the chance. Now that Roberts' books are available on the Kindle (thank you!!), my husband Jack and I had it on our e-readers within seconds. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, although I suspect that because it focuses heavily on the Youngstown "mob" connection that most who live there wish would dry up and blow away forever, it may ruffle a few Mahoning Valley feathers. I've read Roberts' comment that he has no plans to do a sequel, much less a series, but the ending does seem to leave that door open at least a crack. Whether he does or not, I recommend this book highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Death of Father Candy.