yoli's Reviews > Vanity Fair

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

F 50x66
May 24, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, audiobook

Getting the GIANT Librivox version for the plane, goodness knows if it'll FIT on the iPod. :/ Since this is the edition of the book I own I shouldn't be surprised at it's...size, and yet I still am. How's that for silly? Hopefully I'll be able to get all the way through it, although I will not have the cute chapter doodles to keep me company. If I truly enjoy it I will be able to reread it when I get home, however, and that ought to serve as consolation enough.

12/27 It's been how long since I started Thackeray's epic novel? Easily 3 years, possibly more if I really sit down and think honestly about it. But finally, estoy fin! And it was a d--d good book, if I do so say so myself. It's scope was, as the page numbers would suggest, expansive and the characterizations so biting I felt that little frisson of YE GADS SOCIETY WAS CATTY! I know that the Charlotte Bronte liked him but I wonder what Austen's feelings were. Oh wow, I just checked and realized he was born near the end of her career. I wonder what he thought of HER then. The snide little narrator of his reminds me so much of hers. One day I'll sit down and give it a stylistic reading (since I'll know what happens next, which is a very strong force) because it most definitely deserves one. Tonight I will just rejoice in my feeling of accomplishment. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanity Fair.