C.G. Drews's Reviews > Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee

Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult, read-2019

This was both heartwarming and goofy, so if you want to sniffle and giggle...this book is for you.😌It's most wholesomely about friendship: Josie and Delia are BFFs and like, the really tight kind who are on the same wave-length and are so close they practically share a brain. I honestly don't read enough YA books with dedicated female-friendships that don't turn catty, so this?? This was GOOD for that. It also had a super cute romance for Josie that I just. 😍Lawson was like this super Hufflepuff soft loving wholesome attack dog. Look, what I'm saying here is HE IS ADORABLE and he and Josie = the best.

A+ friendships, A+ wholesome romances. A+ dialogue. I seriously died at how funny and epically flowing the dialogue was.

It definitely was...goofy though. Like it's not going to gut-punch you at all. I admit I did adore The Serpent King like nothing else for being so wholly feels wrenching. It just got so bizarre at the end and I don't really click with people doing crappy TV etc as an art form. (I also barely watch TV shh. I'm sorry. There are too many books to read.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee.

February 7, 2018 – Shelved
February 7, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 14, 2019 – Started Reading
August 14, 2019 –
page 200
50.0% "I am enjoying this but ....the TITLE. can we talk about how titles should be easy to spell and this one lives to destroy me.

is it AND or &
midnight or midnite
matinee or manatee (which i confess the second is what I've been calling it all this time)
rayne or RAIN
delilah or DELILA

let me lay down and weep softly"
August 15, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 15, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 15, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
August 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Cassandra {semi-hiatus} Lovely review! I read the first fifty pages or so of this but the goofy-ness wasn’t really meshing with me. :/ Is it worth giving it a second shot and plowing through? I also adored The Serpent King so I feel like I owe it to Jeff Zentner...

message 2: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews Cassandra {semi-hiatus} wrote: "Lovely review! I read the first fifty pages or so of..."

I think we just have to go in not expecting another Serpent King? It gets really quite bizarre at the end here. And like it was funny? But I prefer drama to comedy I guess (I mean I LIKE laughing in contemporaries, but I like humour amongst a series plot. if that makes sense.)