C.G. Drews's Reviews > Pacifica

Pacifica by Kristen Simmons

bookshelves: 5-star, dystopian, pirates, read-2018, young-adult

I'm going to say it --> This is pretty much one of the BEST pirate stories I've read! I don't even know where to begin with this review?! Peoples, I absolutely freaking adored this one. I actually wasn't sure it'd work for me, as I'm not super keen on dystopian anymore. But it was perfect. It absolutely swallowed my feels whole and I just (!!!)

My emotions are all: !!!!!

WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
• pirates; badass epic conniving pirates
• one of the best most wholesome friendships ever
• shipping (relationships) on shipping (sea)
• a dystopian with influences from the Japanese internment camps in WWII
• PAIN AND BEAUTY

Also totally MUST point out that this is a pretty #ownvoices story! The author has a note in the front (I also think she just did a twitter thread?) on how personal a story this is for her, because she based it on what her grandmother went through in WWII, losing everything after being imprisoned in a Japanese interment camp. And just reading her grandma's comeback and epicness and how she valued family above everything she suffered...I JUST AM SO GRATEFUL THE AUTHOR WROTE THIS. It's powerful and you can feel the emotion on every. single. page. omg.

Okay best part ever?! The friendships. 10/10. I think the reason I generally go "eh" to dystopians is it's all world building and blah blah...but this actually put the characters FIRST and they were so complex and dimensional!! (The world building is also epic lmao do not think anything is bad here. I'm just going to gush the whole time. Hold onto your sailing hats.)
ROSS: He's the president's son (+ has an (view spoiler)) and he's really privileged and clueless to what is REALLY happening in their wreck of a world. But he's like so sweet?? He is SO PURE and he is so loyal and loving towards his BFF, Adam, and Ross is just amazing.
ADAM: He's the vice-president's son and used to be one of the super power/shunned people, but his family's risen up. But he's all neat and put together and pleasant, although a lot more *knowing* of the world. And I LOVE ADAM. I love his and Ross' friendship. <3
MARIN: She is the epic pirate oF ALL OUR DREAMS. (Basically if Lila Bard x Kell had a daughter; it would be Marin.) She's like super conniving but her absolute dream is to just be loved/have a family. SHE'S SO BADASS BUT SWEET and the combo just made her leap off the page! Get this woman some knives. Also she built a boat and has a secretly dark pirate past and just...MARIN. I love Marin.

I LOVE THEM ALL.

And can I just say it's really nice to have friendships like this?! Like obviously Marin/Ross is the romantic ship here, but Ross/Adam were just so pure and epic. I didn't like how people kept insinuating Ross was in love with Adam and he reacted with disgust. Like mate, do not. But I also get that it's really frustrating that romance seems to always trump relationships here. I am for queer relationships, obviously. But I am also for epic friendships so so much.

Also t he world building was amazing!
How on earth does this book build such amazing characters AND such a complex and detailed world??! Like it's a frikkin' standalone and it DOES IT ALL. It's basically this dystopian world were everything is trash and falling apart and gross. They're trying to send the poor people off to this "utopia island" but...does it even exist? Marin says no. The president says yes. EVERYONE MIGHT DIE WHO CAN TELL. I just could totally see the whole world, with the islands of trash, and the broken down slums, and the contrasted virtual palace of the rich. Afjdskald it was incredible.

And the plot?! I mean I never got totally shocked (except for that ONE REVEAL about Marin's family) but it was perfect!! Pacing = amazing. I wAs never bored. The only thing that was tired was my eyeballs from the tiny font (omg look out the way while I change my name to Paper Granny). But it was so compelling, with the riots and kidnappings, the boating and eating radioactive fish (that seems...bad for you BUT OK) and the vicious pirates and beatings.

And that bit at the end WHERE ALL THE FEELS HAPPENED.

(view spoiler)

Basically: this is the pirate dystopian of trash and beauty that you didn't even know you were desperate for. It totally took me by surprise ok?! I didn't expect to get this invested. The characters are the most precious light of my life and I'm sad that there's only one book!! A+ FOR EVERYTHING. I LOVED IT.

Because he had done this, and it felt like he knew now that sometimes you had to be a pirate in order to survive.

When he'd hung his head and accepted his sentence, he clung to one final image: a skinny girl with wild curls, driving the boat she'd made with her bare hands into the wide open sea. He thought of Marin, not because she was one of the 86, or because she'd brought him here. Because she was the bravest person he'd ever known, and right now, more than ever, he needed to be brave.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pacifica.

February 7, 2018 – Shelved
February 7, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 5, 2018 – Started Reading
page 40
10.42% "Okay I didn't realise this was dystopian??? DYSTOPIAN PIRATES??? (Don't let me down omg I need some excellent pirates in my life.)"
page 138
35.94% "I'm having a little trouble that the main boys are Adam and Ross...which is a LOT LIKE ADAM AND RONAN AND I'M A MESS."
page 246
64.06% "This is ACTUALLY EXCELLENT and I'm screaming a little inside."
March 6, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 6, 2018 – Shelved as: dystopian
March 6, 2018 – Shelved as: pirates
March 6, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
March 6, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Graciethebookworm This sounds so good!

message 2: by Kirsti (new) - added it

Kirsti I read a bad pirate book recently that left me with a bad taste, but your review is so enthusiastic that I'll add this to my to-read anyway- thanks! ^_^

C.G. Drews @Gracie: Ahh it was!!

@Kirsti: I more often than not get super let down by them too?! So this was such a refreshing epic one.😍😍

message 4: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Joy I hadn't heard of this one until the last couple of days and now I want to read it.

C.G. Drews @Miriam: It's so good!! I don't know why it's had like zero hype?!

To Catch A Falling Star Does this end happily? It does look so exceptionally good!

message 7: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan SO glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I'm always on the lookout for more books about pirates 😊

C.G. Drews @ToCatchAFallingStar: Weeell that's kind of a spoiler.😂But I'll put it in tags if you want to be spoiled --> (view spoiler)

@Megan: Yesss so so good! And I barely ever find good pirate books so this just caught my heart!

Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔ Just finished To Kill a Kingdom yesterday, but I am already up for more kick-ass heroines and pirate tales! So this is going right up to the top of my list lol

message 10: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Your reviews always manage to make books sound so epic??? I added this to the tbr

To Catch A Falling Star Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@ToCatchAFallingStar: Weeell that's kind of a spoiler.😂But I'll put it in tags if you want to be spoiled --> [spoilers removed]

@Megan: Yesss so so good! And I barely ever find good pirate books s..."

Thanks

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Cindy: omg I want that one so bad!! I'm trying to wait for the Aussie release day but ahhh. I want to read it.

@Sarah: IT IS SO EPIC. 😂😂

message 13: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Joy Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Miriam: It's so good!! I don't know why it's had like zero hype?!"

I just looked on Amazon and it's super expensive though :'( 7.50 GBP for the Kindle edition? Maybe not mate...

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Miriam: 😭😭

Hailey Hudson I just read an interview with this book's agent on Writer's Digest.com, and I immediately came and looked it up... and your review completely sold me. Crossing all my fingers my library has this!

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Hailey: Yayy I hope you get to read it! (Maybe you can request your library buy it if they don't have it? My library was really good for that!)

Hailey Hudson THey had it! I'm so pumped.