Matt's Reviews > How to Make a Living with Your Writing: Books, Blogging and More

How to Make a Living with Your Writing by Joanna Penn

bookshelves: books-i-ve-read, self-help

In this deftly written, concise and highly practical guide, Joanna Penn provides useful tips and advice for the aspiring writer. Beginning with her own story and career beginnings, Joanna outlines the principal ways of monetising one’s writing, with the goal of developing multiple streams of passive income through creating intellectual property. I was very impressed with the range of techniques, software, and strategies currently in existence to bring this about, and these are explained in an honest and transparent manner. The pursuit of scalable income is identified as a crucial and highly desirable goal.

The entire writing and publishing journey is detailed in some depth, from conceptualisation to payment, in both simple and direct terms. Importantly, tips for both fiction and non-fiction authors are supplied, given Joanna’s background and success in both areas. Strategies are presented to assist in the creation of blogs, eBooks and more, with emphasis on drawing from one’s own experiences, talents and knowledge. My biggest takeaway from this was the need to consider my own writing as a job, and apply the same strict discipline and organisation that I do with my PhD research.

Joanna describes the present publishing landscape in frank terms and suggests the optimum strategy and mindset for the author. The merits and drawbacks of the traditional publishing pathway are laid down with honesty, and suitable and attractive alternatives are put forward. Notably, the book is very straightforward and easy to digest – I finished this in an afternoon, whilst making notes in the pub.

To summarise, this is a highly useful and practical guide that will benefit anyone seeking to earn money from their writing to any degree. Despite its brevity, I would strongly urge both prospective and active writers to give this a look for some highly relevant and practical advice that will be invaluable for years to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Make a Living with Your Writing.

February 7, 2018 – Started Reading