Emily's Reviews > A Collection of Nightmares

A Collection of Nightmares by Christina Sng

12065550

"Lounge on the couch / Of your twisted mind / Dive into your obsessions / Scouring dark tales / From your grapevine."

A Collection of Nightmares is a book of about 40 poems by Christina Sng. I was introduced to her work in the HWA Poetry Showcase Vol. 5. Her poem was one of my favorites, so I had to pick up this collection.

Christina Sng writes beautifully, and she has put her heart into these poems. There was a little less horror than I expected based on the title and cover, but it was still great to read. Many of the poems went in a sci-fi direction, which was surprising to me (apparently I should not have been surprised since I learned later that Christina has other sci-fi poetry collections). I had not read any sci-fi poetry before, but I think it was really well done. They had depth and emotion, and they were so descriptive. Many of the narrators of the poems seemed to be women, and it was easy to find things to relate to in this collection.

My top 5 poems were Just As Papa Said, Inside, D-Day, Twenty Years, and The Fall. I really enjoyed the more gruesome poems like Just As Papa Said, but there's such an intriguing variety in Christina's poetry that it was all enjoyable. I think that A Collection of Nightmares would be a great introduction to someone who wants to try out horror poetry, but maybe doesn't want to get into super gory material just yet. This book is definitely dark, but it's not as bleak as some others I have read. There's still some hope in these poems even though they are focused on nightmares. A Collection of Nightmares is a great book, and I would love to read more from Christina Sng!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Collection of Nightmares.

February 7, 2018 – Shelved
page 50
November 13, 2018 –
page 68
November 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer These are all great points. Thanks so much for doing a review!