Cela Day's Reviews > The Artificer's Apprentice

The Artificer's Apprentice by D.J. Edwardson

60199219

bookshelves: sci-fi-dystopian, fantasy

An imaginative setting, cool tech, and heart-tugging plot! I discovered DJ Edwardson because he "liked" one of my reviews (Sinclair Ferguson's John Owen on the Christian Life ). Because Edwardson writes speculative fiction from a Christian perspective (as I do), I was curious about his work and checked out his website, which led me to this story. At the time of this writing, "The Artificer's Apprentice" is a free short. It's billed as steampunk, and although I haven't read a lot in this genre, I've enjoyed everything I've read so far. "The Artificer's Apprentice" is no exception!

I especially appreciated the imaginative setting (rather than Victorian England, the author depicts a medieval Italian city-state) in which guilds compete to produce some very cool high-tech gadgets that felt more sci-fi to me than simply anachronistic.

The plight of the protagonist tugged at my heartstrings from the beginning (and pulled ever harder as the plot unwound). Even though in the end it's unclear what the future holds for any of the characters, I still appreciated the resolution. In fact, I would be interested in finding out What Happens Next (although given this is a short, the author might not be planning a sequel). I'm definitely looking forward to reading more from Edwardson!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Artificer's Apprentice.

Started Reading
February 7, 2018 – Shelved
February 7, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 7, 2018 – Shelved as: sci-fi-dystopian
February 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson Thanks for taking the time to write the review. Glad to meet a fellow writer seeking to follow in the footsteps of Lewis and others. All the best to you with your work!