Nicole's Reviews > The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty

The Princess Game by Melanie Cellier

liked it

I'm pretty torn between "Liked it" and "It was ok." This book had some great things going for it. The twist on Sleeping Beauty is awesome. I'm sure you know what it is already, so no need to rehash it. I've never really liked the Sleeping Beauty story . . . and Melanie Cellier's plot actually made it interesting. There's a nice 'moral of the story' at the end too.
What damaged my enjoyment of it was the few (though significant) plot holes I came across. Some characters made decisions/had thought processes that didn't make any sense or line up with their personalities. And there's no way Aurora went gallivanting around the entire book in 'disguise,' while constantly having face-to-face interactions with people who knew her real self very well, without being recognized. (For some reason I'm all about watching those movies where superheros show off their impossible superpowers, but don't even get me started on how irritating it is that they're unrecognizable just by slapping a piece of fabric around their eyes and covering up their eyebrows.) Aurora's 'master spy' activities also felt a little cartoonish. I don't know, I wish that part had more depth maybe?

Maybe I shouldn't have listed the negative things last. It was an entertaining read. If you're into fairy tale retellings, try it out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Game.

January, 2018 – Started Reading