Nicholas Finch's Reviews > Mrs. Sherlock Holmes

Mrs. Sherlock Holmes by Brad Ricca

bookshelves: books-reviewed

I've read a few reviews saying this book felt like a let down.

Personally, I loved the book! I enjoyed reading about Grace Humiston, and her crusade to help those who were downtrodden by society. Grace was a strong willed woman, who took on the system, got her Law Degree and faced off with corrupt officials and police departments. And she did it all in a time where women didn't even have the right to vote.

I will admit that the narrative was too jumpy, and it took some time to figure out the actual timeline of the story and where we were at in her life. The writer had a simple way of writing, that made it easy to read yet felt as if it was about two steps below you.

It's a bit slow to start with, but as you work your way through the narrative, you start to see Grace's amazing story.

What is fascinating about this book, is the realization of how much hasn't changed - how police departments everywhere still look at 'Missing Persons', how Immigrants are looked at, how women are viewed by higher officials. Grace could step out of 1910's in to 2010's and wonder what if anything had changed.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in Women's History. I would warn it can be choppy and at times disjointed, but worth reading all the way to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Sherlock Holmes.

February 6, 2018 – Started Reading