Steve Dewey's Reviews > The Green Roads of England

The Green Roads of England by Robert Hippisle Cox

19055948

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, geography, transport, history

This was an enjoyable little book, made more interesting by describing areas local to me. Being local helped me enjoy the book more than a reader with no local knowledge might -- I note this because the last couple of chapters -- where the roads discussed were in Berkshire, Hertfordshire and east, and in Gloucester and north -- weren't quite as interesting to me as the early chapters, which centered around Wiltshire, Hampshire and Somerset -- the Wessex Ridgeway is closer to my interests than the roads to the east. If you don't know any of the areas discussed in the book, you might find it all a bit overwhelming, as names of towns and villages and roads and hill forts tumble in succession -- especially as there are few detailed maps within the text to act as a guide.

I feel maps are what the book sorely lacked. Yes, there are a few summary maps at the end of the book, but these aren't large enough in scale to highlight details discussed in the book. The text is illustrated with pencil sketches of local countryside and plans of hill forts, but these felt superfluous. Yes, the hill forts might be important in helping assess the route of the old roads, but in a book that was short of maps, the sketches and plans seemed an unnecessary frivolity that diverted from useful cartography, no matter how basic.

I haven't been able to find much about Hippisley Cox on the Web, so I can't assess his standing as an expert on roads, tracks or archeology; and a comment in the last chapter leads me to think he was an enthusiastic amateur. The interesting hypothetical tidbits he tosses into early chapters might, therefore, be entirely unfounded -- they are, however, intriguing, and accord with some recent thoughts of my own.

If you are intrigued by roads, byways, and tracks, there's much of interest in this book, particularly if you're a native of, or a regular visitor, to the areas which Hippisley Cox describes. Was Avebury the hub of the southern, prehistoric road network? I'm still unsure, but it was fun to retrace some routes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Green Roads of England.

February 6, 2018 – Started Reading