Kali Napier's Reviews > Mine

Mine by Susi Fox

bookshelves: aww2018
Read 2 times. Last read April 6, 2018 to April 8, 2018.

Full disclosure -- I read Mine in a very early manuscript form. However, this version is so different! The end twist is different, and several storylines that occurred at the mother-baby unit no longer happen. Here we get to see Sasha's husband Mark's POV as well. I felt like I was reading a new book. The only thing that was the same for me between both versions, was they both gripped me totally. Which is saying something the second time around as I thought I knew who'd 'dunnit'. What this adds up to is a testament to Susi Fox's incredible work in crafting a novel, which is a page-turner, as well as forensically authentic, with multiple characters' motivations revealed over the course of the novel.
Sasha is a pathologist who wakes up having an early caesarean 3 weeks early. There are clues that something is wrong from the moment she opens her eyes and sees red roses. Her husband Mark knows she prefers white roses. Every character is creepy when Sasha doesn't know who's telling the truth. The only person she can trust is herself, though a past traumatic incident when she worked in paediatrics makes her afraid of her own instincts.
Sasha doesn't feel a connection with her baby, insists there has been a swap, but no one in the hospital believes her. Susi Fox (a GP herself) comments on how doctors become blind to inconsistent details once they are blinkered by their diagnoses and filters. This is something I have experienced many times over the last few frustrating years, and this book feels very real to me and frightening with the extreme of what can go wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mine.

Finished Reading